This article provides you information for creating your Embed Web Channel campaign. The Embed campaign type will replace a selected web page element on your website with your personalized message. You can display different welcome images for different customer segments on your home page. For example, you can use this type of campaign to:
- Reactivate your churning customers.
- Place an unintrusive message by using Visual editor.
This feature must be enabled for you by Emarsys Support, and requires steps 1 and 2 of the Web Extend Data Collection Scripts to be implemented.
Before you create an Embed campaign using Web Channel, you need to perform the following steps:
1. Go to Campaigns > Web Channel > Campaigns tab and click Create Campaign.
2. Set your campaign strategy.
For Embed Web Channel campaign you can select Customer reactivation or Unintrusive messaging campaign strategies.
With HTML Editor you can create a customer reactivation campaign, with Visual Editor you can replace an image banner.
5. Select the template you want to use for your campaign. Optionally, you can select a blank campaign.
6. Hover your cursor over the selected campaign template and click Create Campaign.
Once you have selected your campaign template, the creation wizard opens at the Campaign Settings page.
Creating the Embed campaign
1. Name (or later rename) your campaign, choose the website where you would like to display it, set the audience with the Recipient source options.
Click Save and Continue to proceed to the Placement step.
When setting up Embedded campaigns in some cases your web browser is not available to display the Placement step in the Web Channel setup flow. In this case Placement step is omitted and you can find the content of the Placement step (Zone Selector) in the Trigger & Scheduling step.
Zone Selector (Embed campaigns only)
3. Select the zone on your website for your personalized Web Channel message. You can also save the selected zone for future use.
- To select a predefined zone, click Select zone... and choose a zone from the drop-down list.
- To create a custom zone, on the Zones tab you can define which web page element youd like to replace on your website. For information on the Zones tab, see Managing Web Channel campaigns.
- To set a zone manually, proceed as follows:
- Click Pick zone with your mouse, then select a zone in the preview window. The selected zone will be highlighted in blue. When you are ready, click OK.
- Click Save Zone As, specify the name of the zone, then click Save.
5. Choose a layout, modify the content according to your needs and test your campaign on the Content page.
- If you use the Visual Editor then you can select from a series of pre-built layout templates and edit the content in the live editor window.
- With the Variables Editor you can customize and fine-tune the elements of your campaign's layout.
- If you use the HTML editor you can choose between using image or HTML source.
- Image source cannot be personalized and leads to a single URL.
- In the HTML source, you can insert personalization tokens, if the recipient source permits.
- For both, you can set what to display for desktop and mobile versions.
Optionally, you can personalize the text content of your campaigns by using variables to populate your message with values from your Emarsys database fields or other external data sources. To personalize your text in this way, proceed as follows:
Please bear in mind that if customers already found in your contact database visit your website from a new device or browser they will be treated as unidentified visitors until they log in or perform any other action on the basis of which we can identify them.
When the message is displayed on your website, these personalization tokens will be replaced by values from the data fields you selected, for example, by your contact’s first name in the salutation.
- At this stage, no preview is provided for personalization tokens.
- Personalization may show outdated values for fields in which values change often, such as
last session productsor
last abandoned products, as changes in these fields propagate to Web Channel with a delay. Please take this into consideration when using such fields for personalization.
Settings tab (For Embed and Ribbon campaigns only)
The Settings tab is available for Embed and Ribbon type of Web Channel campaigns.
There are three options for placement and behavior on the Settings tab:
- Replace content of selected zone: It means the campaign will replace the selected element of your website.
- Insert content before selected zone: The campaign is shown on the left or above of the selected element depending on its design, without replacement.
- Insert content after selected zone: You can display the campaign on the right or below of the chosen element.
You can switch the Fit content to original zone size feature. If its enabled, the zone will keep its original size, otherwise, the zone will have the size of your web campaign element, which will influence the look of your website.
Optionally, you can test your newly designed Web Channel campaign in a new tab or window.
Click the Test button in the upper-right corner. You can test the mobile version of your campaign without using a mobile device. For this, use your Web browser's built-in mobile device emulator. You can select a mobile device type to emulate it then load your campaign page. For more information on testing, see Testing a Web Channel campaign.
Trigger & Scheduling
When setting up Embedded campaigns in some cases your web browser is not available to display the Placement step in the Web Channel setup flow. In this case, Placement step is omitted and you can find the content of the Placement step (Zone Selector) in the Trigger & Scheduling step.
6. Activate your campaign on the Trigger & Scheduling page.
Before activation here you can set when you want to display the Web Channel content, in the following settings:
- Scheduling – Defines the duration of the campaign appearance. The default is 7 days from the actual day.
- Time zone – By default, scheduling is based on your account's default time zone. To select another time zone for your campaign, click the drop-down.
- Under Display frequency, you can define how many times and how often you want the campaign to appear for a given contact.
- To show the campaign only once.
- To show once in every session.
- To show in every defined day.
Let the machine decide (AI) feature enables an algorithm to calculate when and how often would be the best to show the campaign.
The option Let the machine decide (AI) is currently an experimental feature, available for development purposes only.
7. Click Save then Activate and the campaign will become visible on the Campaigns tab.