Consider the following when using Personalization rules:
- Supported email types: Personalization Rules are to serve either of the following email campaign types: recurring or batch email campaigns.
- Not supported: Do not use Personalization rule in any on-event, triggered or transactional email campaigns with Automations programs, otherwise the emails will not be sent.
- Missing Parent-child level matching: One of the elements of our calculation is item-to-item similarity. This means that we might show the same item multiple times in one recommendation, just in different sizes, or color.
Creating a new Personalization rule
1. Click the Create Personalization Rule button on the main Personalization Rules page.
2. Select a base product recommendation logic from the Base product set pop-up dialog. The recommendation results will be calculated based on the logic selected here.
The 4 hour scheduled calculation
When creating a new personalization rule, or updating an existing rule, consider waiting for 4 hours before using the rule within the Email campaign.
Recommendations are calculated every 4 hours, so after setting up a new rule or modifying an existing rule, it might take a maximum of 4 hours until the recommendations are generated. The Contact preview is calculated independently from recommendations and displays nearly real-time results.
By newly created rules, the calculation starts immediately, and may finish much earlier. If you do not receive an error message in Product Source Settings, you can safely send your campaigns with your new personalization rule.
Behavior based logics
Select a pre-defined product recommendation logic to filter your products:
- Global Popularity: It is a general list of the most popular products including the most-viewed and most-purchased items in the past 90 days from the customers’ Product catalog.
- Closed Pilot Feature: Visual Similarity: It is a pre-defined, product recommendation logic to recommend brand new products for the customers who are most likely to buy them.
- Closed Pilot Feature: Behavior based logics: Personal logic: It enables you to generate unique product recommendations based on the recent browsing activity and the purchase history.
3. Name the Personalization rule.
4. At the Product filters section set your rules to apply to any of the following:
- All conditions are true
- Any condition is true
5. Click Add Condition to define a filter condition.
Specify a condition filter to narrow down the result set, keeping only those products that are matching the filter criteria. Use AND/OR operators for setting multiple filter criteria.
You can set the following condition types:
In the drop-down list you can select
- any of the following categories, or
- none of the following categories to exclude certain categories.
Product field: Define a condition based on the product catalog field value. You can access all your standard or custom Product catalog fields.
Example: To show products that are more expensive than 50 EUR create a product field criteria with the following settings:
price - larger than - 50
- You cannot access the Localized Product catalog fields.
- When filtering custom Product fields, you cannot use numeric operators ('equals', 'smaller than', 'larger than' etc), only text-based operators ('contains', 'starts with', 'ends with' etc).
6. Click Apply, once you are done with editing the Personalization rule.
7. Availability Filtering provides you the following product recommendation filtering options:
- Include Available Products Only: You can recommend only those products that are available.
- Include All Products: Recommend all the products, even the unavailable ones.
It is not possible to recommend only the unavailable products exclusively.
8. Check the box to exclude products already purchased the defined days ago.
Sample products: Previewing results of the Personalization rule
9. Click the Save button in the top-right corner and the ten most relevant products are displayed in the right sidebar.
The preview of the personalization rules and also contact preview will only show 10 items no matter the maximum limit set in the repeatable block. The number of shown items can be more than 10 based on the settings and the actual amount of recommendations for given rule and contact only in the sent emails.