Welcome to the Emarsys Account Owner Guide.
If you are reading this, you have most likely been selected to be the Account Owner for your Emarsys Marketing Platform account. Below you can find all the information you need relating to your role and responsibilities.
What is an Account Owner?
Every Emarsys account has at least one Account Owner. This role is responsible for creating and managing the other user profiles and for configuring the security settings for the account. These are available via two pages in the Admin menu that regular users cannot see:
Users can only be promoted to the Account Owner role by Emarsys Support.
In addition to this role you are also a regular Emarsys user. You can manage your own profile as normal in the My Profile page.
Why do we need Account Owners?
The security of your data is of paramount importance to us, and we take all possible precautions to ensure that our application and infrastructure are safe (for an overview of these measures, please see: Data Security in Emarsys).
At the same time, we want to give you as much control as possible over the access and permission levels of your own users. The Account Owner can control the access levels of users and the security settings for the account.
Now that I am an Account Owner, what do I do?
You have three tasks to do when you are selected to be the Account Owner for your Emarsys account:
- Validate and enable your own Account Owner profile.
- Configure the account security settings.
- Invite and enable the rest of the users in your account.
Activating your Account Owner role
Your first point of contact with Emarsys will be an email asking you to activate your account. Click the activation link to open the Account Owner activation page.
All fields on this page are mandatory, but some have been pre-filled for you. For added security, the Account Owner's Access role and Email address fields can only be changed by Emarsys Support.
On this page you must:
- Select the user name you will use to log in.
- Select your login password.
- Verify your mobile phone number.
As Account Owner, you must verify your mobile phone number to ensure that you will always be able to log in to this account, for example in case you enable IP whitelisting.
When you have activated your profile you will receive a confirmation email and will be redirected to the login screen for your account. After logging in you will see two new entries in the Admin menu:
Your first action should be to configure your security settings.
Configuring the account security settings
On the Security Settings page there are the following sections:
- Permitted email domains - All the users in your account must have valid email addresses that belong to a domain listed here, as the application will only send invitation emails to addresses in these domains.
- IP access control - This is an optional, but highly recommended, security feature that requires two-step authentication for all login attempts from unrecognized IP addresses.
- API user creation - Keep your API secure by regularly changing your user name and secret key.
- WebDAV user creation - If you are using WebDAV storage for data transfer, you should also keep this secure by regularly changing your user name and secret key.
- Key-based SFTP Auto-imports - Set up auto-import events from your SFTP server using 4096-bit RSA keys.
Once you have saved your settings, you can now begin to create other users.
Before you can make any changes to these settings you will be prompted to enter your password as a further security measure. Once accepted, your session is authorized to update the security settings for five minutes. When this time has elapsed you will be asked to enter your password again.
Creating new users
You can create new users on the User Management page. Click Create New User to initiate the user creation wizard.
Managing user profiles
As Account Owner, you can also edit user profiles on the User Management page, as well as deactivate and reactivate them.