To open the Overview page, go to the Campaigns menu and select Mobile Engage.
Here you can switch between the different tabs: Push Messages, the Reporting, the Apps, the Segments and Settings.
The Push Messages tab
On this tab you can see details of your push messages: the Recipient source, the Status of the message, the App name, the number of messages Sent, the date it was Created and last Changed.
Creating a new message - Settings
Click Create New to open the message creation wizard.
Here you can define the General settings. The options for Recipient source are as follows:
- Broadcast – Sends a message to all subscribers of your application.
- Automation Center – Sends push messages from an Automation Center program.
Mobile Engage Push Message can only be used in an Automation Center Program if the Recipient Source is set to Automation Center and the Push Message is launched. After the Push Message is launched, it can be selected in the drop-down menu of the Mobile Engage node in AC. If the Push Message is not yet launched, then it will not show up in the drop-down.
- Using a segment – Sends an ad hoc push message to a standard Emarsys segment.
- Using a Mobile Engage segment - Sends an ad hoc push message to a Mobile Engage segment, which is made up of only Mobile Engage contacts. For more information, see Mobile Engage segmentation.
When you are finished with these, save your message for the first time to continue to the Content Creation step.
Creating a new message - Content
The Content Creation step of the wizard is divided into three tabs:
1. Message tab
In the Message tab of the New Push Message window, you can create the content of your message in several languages.
Type your message in the text box.
The live Preview pane on the right shows how your message will appear. For Apple, you can cycle through the available displays using the arrows under the phone. In the upper right corner, you can switch between Apple and Android phone previews.
2. Custom Data tab
In this tab you can view and edit the values of the custom data fields for the app.
For more information on custom data fields, links and deep links, see Custom Data Fields.
3. Platform Settings tab
In this tab you can set the platform-specific values of your messages. These settings are not optional; if nothing is entered, the platform default values are used.
Two platforms are available: iOS and Android.
- Badges – The iOS badge number you want to send with your message. You can also enter +n or -n to increase/decrease the current badge number by the value of n (i.e. entering +1 will increase the badge value by 1). Sending 0 clears the badge from your app’s icon.
- Sound – Enter the name of a custom sound file located in the main bundle of your application. This sound will play when the message is delivered.
- Root parameters – The root level parameters to the APS dictionary.
- Expiration time – The period after which the push will not be delivered if the device is offline.
Creating a new message - Languages
Between the text editor and the Preview you will see the distribution of languages for all the downloads of the selected app in your Emarsys database. The percentages refer to the language settings when the app was downloaded and give you an indication of which languages your customers prefer.
These figures apply to your entire database, not to the launch list for this campaign.
- To add and remove languages, click Manage language. You can select a language from the drop-down or use the dynamic search field to find it.
Every language now has a tab where you can write the message content in that language. Languages which are not shown here (e.g. those counted under Other) will receive the content in the app's default language.
If you add a language but that tab contains no content, those customers will also receive content in the app's default language.
Testing a message
In the Send Test Message window, you can specify an email address to which a test message will be sent.
The test email address must be an address in your Emarsys database, associated with a known device.
To test your message, click Save & Send.
If sending of the test message fails, a red warning message appears on the screen. The reasons for this could be the following:
- No contact has been found in Emarsys database with the given email address.
- The email address has been found, but there is no device associated to it.
When you have tested your message, you can continue to the Launch step.
On this screen, the number of recipients displayed depends on the Recipient source chosen in the Push Message Settings step, as follows:
- Automation Center – The number of push messages sent will be calculated in the Automation Center program.
- Broadcast – The number of all app users with a push token will be displayed.
- Using a segment – The number of users in the segment will be displayed.
- Using a Mobile Engage segment – The number of contacts in an app-specific, Mobile Engage segment with device- and behavior-level criteria will be displayed.
Apart from the Mobile Engage segments, which use the Mobile Engage database, the number of contacts in the other segments types comes from the Emarsys database. In order to make this number reflect the actual number of opted-in customers, when creating these segments you should include <App name> Push Accepted = 1 as one of your required contact criteria, as shown below.
In the Scheduling section, you can either select Launch now for immediate action, or you can define a specific date and time in the future and click Launch. Scheduling launches in the future is available to all kinds of recipient sources except the Automation Center.
When a message is scheduled for launch, the contents of the message are still editable right up until launch and can even be deleted. If the message content is deleted for any additional language, the default language will be used (English); if that is empty no message will be sent.
The Reporting tab
On this tab you can see the summary of your push message.
In the Overview section, the Opens and the Installs are displayed, while in the Distribution by platform window the breakdown of platforms can be seen, based on Total installs, Active users and Opt-ins.
The available metrics are as follows:
- Opens – The app is opened from a push message directly.
- Total sent – The total number of push messages sent by Emarsys.
- Total installs – The total number of known app installs.
- Active users – The number of users who opened and used the app in the last 30 days.
- Opt-ins – All users who agreed to accept push messages.
- Opt-outs – The number of users without a push token.
The Apps tab
A list of your app using the Mobile Engage service is displayed here.
You can see the App ID, the App name, the date it was Created and last Changed.
For more information, see Custom data fields.
The are two methods for debugging:
This information will help you in debugging your API integration by examining the first test installs and incoming events. You can then check the correct installation and responses for API calls.
The Segments tab
Mobile Engage Segmentation is an advanced feature, allowing you to create segments based on device-level and behavior-level criteria of your Mobile Engage contacts.
For a detailed description on its features and settings, see Mobile Engage Segmentation.
The Settings tab
You can now onboard your own apps for Mobile Engage without the help of Emarsys Support. After registering with our delivery partner, you can now add your API Access token in the Settings tab.
First, you have to obtain your push token at our delivery partner’s Control Panel.
Copy the secret and paste it into your Emarsys account as shown above, and click Save.
When the app is created and added to your inventory, the key Emarsys system fields are automatically mapped.
The mapped local fields are editable, so they can be re-assigned as needed. You can also view your Emarsys Mobile Engage application password.
It is not possible to delete an app from the system; this must be done by Emarsys Support.