You can use the Emarsys Media Database to host the images you use in your email campaigns, as well as manage other content files.
Opening the Media Database
The media database can be accessed via the Admin menu, Media Database or from the Image Properties dialog of the email content editor.
Managing your media files
When you open the Media Database, all your media files are displayed in the list. At the top you have the controls for managing these assets, as well as your upload settings.
Thumbnails vs. list view
Uploading a file
The maximum permitted file sizes are:
- Image files - 4MB
- Documents - 8MB
- Other file formats - 4MB
Images files should only be uploaded in the following formats, as they are supported by all standard email clients: .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .tif, .tiff.
Supported file types
As well as a useful way to maintain your image library, you can also use the Media Database to host files of other types and reference them via their URLs in your emails, for example text files (.docx, .pdf, etc.), HTML files, font files (see below) or even video (if the file size is not too large).
However, you can only insert image files into your email campaign, of the types listed above.
The only file types that the Media Database will actively block are .exe files, since these are blocked by all email clients.
Uploading a font file
You can upload font files if you want to host them with Emarsys. These must be of the type .woff or .woff2.
In order to use these fonts in your email templates, you will need to extract their URL. Proceed as follows:
- Upload the font file as per the instructions above.
- Find the font file in the list and click Copy URL.
- Do not extract zip file – Keeps your zip file compressed after upload; otherwise, the files will be extracted and listed individually.
- Keep original file name – Keeps the original file name and does not assign an internal Emarsys name to it (see below).
- Prepared for retina screens - If this is activated, Emarsys will not reduce the image to fit the content block but will instead resize it dynamically according to the device that opens the email. This is an on-demand feature that must be activated by Emarsys Support.
- Always show upload settings - Displays these settings above the list of media files.
Not all of these options are available for all accounts as they depend on the account settings.
Creating a folder
Folder names can contain only standard Latin alphanumeric characters (a-z, A-Z, 0-9) and the underscore and dash (_, -). Blank spaces are not allowed.
When you upload a file, the original file name will be used in the list of media files but an internal name will be assigned to the file itself (e.g. md_12345.jpeg). This allows you to change the display name after you have used the file in an email campaign without breaking the link to the file.
If you have selected the Keep original file name option in the Upload settings, the display name and the file name will remain the same and you do not have the option to change them.
This creates a copy of the image with the new dimensions added to the display name, e.g.: HeroimageDesktop.jpg (650x320).
Adding files to emails
This will only remove the file from the list. It will still be stored on our server and will still be available if it has been included in any emails.