Triggered Email is the Emarsys solution for delivering high volumes of time-sensitive, personalized emails triggered by customer interactions with your brand.
What is Triggered Email?
Triggered Email is the Emarsys solution for sending time-critical email messages via their own dedicated mail-sending architecture (PMTAs) to ensure that delivery is immediate and unaffected by any other activities on your account.
Since Triggered Email is designed for operational emails, it ignores the opt-in status of the contacts it sends to.
It is also the only Emarsys solution for sending email attachments.
How does it work?
Triggered Email consists of two parts: external events and mail streams.
- External events are identifiers that use the API to link an action (such as a purchase) to a mail stream, providing the data needed for the message and triggering the email.
- Mail streams are event-based emails that are personalized and sent when their associated event is triggered. These are differentiated from other event-based emails by having their own dedicated sender domain registered by Emarsys.
When should I be using it?
Triggered Email is optimized for speed and deliverability, so you should be using this product instead of event-based email campaigns if you need to send important, time-critical messages to your customers.
Since it ignores opt-in, Triggered email should only be used for operational emails such as double opt-in confirmation, password reset and transactional emails relating to purchases. You should not use this product to send marketing messages.
For a full list of use cases, click here.
- Triggered email dashboard.
- Copy and re-use existing email campaigns for Triggered Email mail streams.
- Create new mail streams.
- Personalize emails with contact and/or transactional data.
- Launch broadcast mail streams without referencing your Emarsys database.
- Add attachments.
- Trigger emails via the API.
- Trigger emails via an external integration.
- Use triggered email with the Automation Center.
- Stop emails without attachments from being sent (optional).
- Pause and edit live mail streams.
- Track deliverability and responses over time.
Transactional emails vs. triggered emails
You can see the main differences between transactional emails and triggered emails below:
- Every On-event emails.
(Exception: External event campaigns automatically become triggered email campaigns.)
- Can be created from the Email Campaigns module.
- Sent via Automation Center (with data change), with External event entry node.
- Triggered emails are a special kind of transactional emails.
- Created in the Triggered email channel
- Sent via their own dedicated mail-sending architecture (PMTAs).
- Use the triggered sender address that has been configured by Emarsys Support in your account.
- Directly triggered via API or Interactions programs by setting External event as recipient source in the email settings.