Once you have activated a program there are a number of ways you can change the content and the workflow, depending on the state of the program. You should always pause a program before making any changes, to make sure that no contacts are being processed at the time.
See also: Editing launched emails.
If you are restricted from making the changes that you want to an active program, you always have the option to copy the program, make changes to the copy and then activate that. This will cause you to lose continuity in the reporting of the original program, but will not affect business-level reporting such as Smart Insight.
Copying an Automation Center program affects certain node types differently:
|Node Type||Result of Copying
|Form||Selected forms are copied to the new program. No action is needed.
|Send Email|| A copy of the originally selected email campaign is created.
|Wait||Settings are unchanged. No action is needed.
|Send SMS||Selected SMS campaigns are copied into the new program. No action is needed.
The web channel campaign has to be reselected.
If a web channel campaign is already used by another Automation Center program (the source of the copy), it cannot be reused in another program.
|Mobile Engage push message||Selected Mobile Engage campaigns are copied into the new program. No action is needed.
|CRM Ads - add to audience||The CRM audience has to be reselected.
|CRM Ads - Remove from audience
||Selected CRM audiences are copied into the new program. No action is needed.
||The MessengerPeople campaign has to be reselected.
|Direct Mail||Selected Direct Mail campaigns are copied into the new program. No action is needed.
Changing your program's status
You can see how programs behave in different states in the following table:
|Status||Contacts can enter the program
||Contacts can finish their journey||You can make small adjustments to the program||You can change the structure of your program|
*The status of Paused programs changes to Frozen after three days. New contacts cannot enter the program but they are queued and will enter it when you reactivate the program. Contacts will not advance in your program.
Making small adjustments to your program
You can make the following small adjustments to a program regardless of its status:
- changing the program’s name,
- changing the campaigns (email, push, SMS, In-app or CRM Ads),
- changing the segments used in your program,
- modifying the program’s schedule,
- modifying the settings of nodes (e.g. Update contact list),
- modifying the settings of the Wait node,
- disabling or enabling a channel node.
The changes come into effect right after you confirm and save them. As a result, contacts will continue their journey in the updated program.
Changing your program's structure
The limitations mentioned in this section apply to all program statuses except for In design. You can modify programs the status of which is In design without any restrictions.
You can change the structure of your program regardless of its status as follows:
- You can add new nodes to your program.
You can insert a new node between two others by dropping it on the arrow connecting the two nodes. You can delete newly added nodes by clicking the Undo icon (before saving your program) or by discarding your changes.
- You cannot delete nodes that were previously added to your program.
- You cannot change the participation settings of your program.
- Although you cannot delete branches of the A/B splitter node, you can set specific branches to 0%. After modifying branches, it is important to check that their sum equals 100%.
- Nodes that are not connected to other nodes cannot be left on the canvas.
- After saving the changes, the most recent version of your program will be displayed on the Program Summary page regardless of the selected interval. If you set the timeframe to a time period before you modified the program, then 0 will be displayed above the newly added nodes.
Editing finished programs
Once a program has finished you will not be able to edit any part of it. If you want to reuse the program with some modifications, you will have to copy the program, modify it and then activate the copy.