About Emarsys users
There are two types of Emarsys users:
This is a special user role which is responsible for user management and account security.
These are the users who log in to the Emarsys Marketing Platform and work with the functionality in it.
Account Owners also have a regular user profile.
All regular users have an assigned access level, which defines which parts of the application are available to them. These fall into two broad categories:
Typically, administrators have full access to all of the Emarsys features.
Operators work with a much more restricted set of features.
Within these two categories, you can define the activities of each user however you like. For example, you may want some users to be allowed to create and edit email campaigns, but not launch them; or others may need to import contacts and perform duplication handling, but do not need access to the Emarsys CMS. For a list of the available access packages, please contact Emarsys Support.
The User Management page
The User Management page of the Admin menu is available to Account Owners only.
As well as listing all your account’s users, it also provides all the functionality for creating, activating, editing and deleting them.
The user list shows all the users in your account along with their name, email address, user name, access level, status and the time and date of their last login.
This list is ordered by default according to the Status field:
- Pending – This user has been sent an email asking them to activate or verify their user profile, but has not yet clicked the activation link. They cannot log in until they do so.
- Active – This user is active and can log in and work as normal.
Deactivated – This user has been deactivated, for one of the following reasons:
- The Account Owner has manually deactivated them.
- Emarsys has automatically deactivated them after 180 days of inactivity.
- Emarsys has automatically deactivated a new user who did not log in within 90 days of their profile being created.
- Emarsys has automatically deactivated a user who failed to verify their profile in time
Inactive users cannot log in to the account until the Account Owner triggers an activation email to them and they complete the activation process.
Creating new users
User creation requires two steps.
1. Creating the user profile
Click Create New User to open the creation wizard.
- You must enter the First and Last name and Email address, as well as select the Access role and Interface language.
- The Access roles defined when you create your Emarsys account are typically divided between Administrators, who have full access to the Emarsys functionality, and Operators who have access to a restricted set of functionality suited to their role. For more details on what these roles actually entail in your account please speak to the Account Owner or contact Emarsys Support.
- The email address must belong to one of the domains permitted in the Security Settings.
- The mobile phone number is only mandatory for Account Owners, but is highly recommended since this is used for login authentication if IP restrictions have been enabled in the Security Settings.
After confirming the user details, Emarsys sends an activation email to that user.
2. Activating the user profile
The user must click the link in the email and the complete their user profile.
- They must define a login user name and a password.
- They should also verify their mobile phone number (recommended but not mandatory).
- They can configure a two-step login authentication app on their smartphone if this feature is enabled.
- Users cannot change their email address or access level. Only the Account Owner can do that (see below).
Once they have saved their profile, the user can log in to Emarsys and start to work.
Editing user profiles
An Account Owner can edit some, but not all, user properties.
- User name, Interface and default form languages, timezone, first and last names and access role can all be edited by the Account Owner.
- Mobile phone number can be edited, but has to be verified by the user before it can be used for login authentication.
- Email address cannot be edited. The email address can only be changed by verifying the user profile again (see below).
All other user properties must be changed by the user themselves in their profile page.
Activating and deactivating users
If the user does not do this within 30 days their profile will be deactivated and the verification process must be started again.
Verification is the only way to change a user’s email address.
Additionally, if a user has not logged in for 180 days, their account will automatically be deactivated and they will need to verify their profile before they can log in again.
You can trigger verification emails to all active and pending users, and as many times as you like (for example if you make a mistake in the email address).