About Emarsys users
There are two types of Emarsys users:
This is a special user role which is responsible for user management and account security.
These are the users who log in to the Emarsys Marketing Platform and work with the functionality in it.
Account Owners also have a regular user profile.
User access roles
All regular users have role assigned to them with a set of permissions, which define which parts of the application are available to them. For details on the default roles and how to create new ones, see: User roles and permissions.
The User Management page
The User Management page of the Management menu is available to Account Owners only.
The Users tab
On the Users tab, you can see all your account’s users. It also provides all the functionality for creating, activating, editing and deleting them.
The user list shows all the users in your account along with their name, email address, user name, status, role and the time and date of their last login.
This list is ordered by default according to the Status field:
- Pending – This user has been sent an email asking them to activate or verify their user profile, but has not yet clicked the activation link. They cannot log in until they do so.
- Active – This user is active and can log in and work as normal.
Deactivated – This user has been deactivated, for one of the following reasons:
- The Account Owner has manually deactivated them.
- Emarsys has automatically deactivated them after 180 days of inactivity.
- Emarsys has automatically deactivated a new user who did not log in within 90 days of their profile being created.
- Emarsys has automatically deactivated a user who failed to verify their profile in time
Inactive users cannot log in to the account until the Account Owner triggers an activation email to them and they complete the activation process.
Creating new users
User creation requires two steps: creating the user profile, and then activating it.
1. Creating the user profile
Click Create New User to open the creation wizard.
- You must enter the First and Last name and select the Access role, as well as enter the Email address and Mobile phone number.
- The email address must belong to one of the domains permitted in the Security Settings.
- The mobile phone number is only mandatory for Account Owners, but is highly recommended since this is used for login authentication if IP restrictions have been enabled in the Security Settings.
- Select the Interface language.
- Set the Distance unit and the preferred date and time format (EU, US standard).
After confirming the user details, Emarsys sends an activation email to that user.
2. Activating the user profile
The user must click the link in the email and the complete their user profile.
- They must define a login user name and a password.
- They should also verify their mobile phone number (recommended but not mandatory).
- They can configure a two-step login authentication app on their smartphone if this feature is enabled.
- Users cannot change their email address or access level. Only the Account Owner can do that (see below).
Once they have saved their profile, the user can log in to Emarsys and start to work.
Note that weak passwords, or passwords you have used before, are not accepted.
Passwords must meet the following complexity requirements:
- Must be at least 8 characters long.
- Must contain both upper-, and lowercase characters.
- Must contain at least one numeric and one special character.
Editing user profiles
Login details: User name
- Interface language, Form default language
- Time zone, Distance unit
- Preferred date and time format (EU, US standard)
First and last name
- Email address cannot be edited. The email address can only be changed by verifying the user profile again (see below).
- Mobile phone number can be edited, but it has to be verified by the user before it can be used for login authentication.
Start page: You can define a start page here, but you can set it here at User level only.
Start page cannot be set at Role level .
- Access role: It can be edited by the Account Owner.
All other user properties must be changed by the users themselves in their profile page. For more information, see Managing your user profile.
Activating and deactivating users
If the user does not do this within 30 days their profile will be deactivated and the verification process must be started again.
Verification is the only way to change a user’s email address.
Additionally, if a user has not logged in for 180 days, their account will automatically be deactivated and they will need to verify their profile before they can log in again.
You can trigger verification emails to all active and pending users, and as many times as you like (for example if you make a mistake in the email address).