The Deliverability Advisor is a tool that analyzes your email campaigns and provides highly targeted guidance on how to optimize your content to keep great deliverability at the front of your email marketing strategy. It provides all the information you need to feel confident that you are doing everything you can to uphold the high Emarsys standards of permission-based email marketing.
The Deliverability Advisor is the next step in the email creation wizard after Content Creation, and you can also access it from the Deliverability Reporting page.
The most important parts of this feature are Preventive Check, which analyzes the content of your email campaigns, and your Deliverability Engagement Score, which ranks your campaign performance against the Emarsys global averages.
For a more general overview of deliverability issues, please see: Common Deliverability Issues.
The Overview tab
On this tab we list the most important factors which contribute to deliverability, and put them in context so that you can understand their role and importance.
Emarsys runs a number of checks on your email campaigns which are designed to highlight how well you are following our Email Best Practices. With the help of these checks, you can avoid sending email campaigns with obvious deliverability issues. This results in higher engagement and fewer negative metrics (i.e. treated as spam, unsubscribes, complaints).
These checks cover both email content and issues related to email authentication. Any errors or anomalies are flagged so you can immediately take action to correct them.
Email Content Checks
These cover all aspects of your email content. Errors or anomalies are flagged with a red triangle suggestions for action are provided.
- Subject line wording - Checks the length and the proper wording of the subject line.
- Multi-part message - Checks the different parts of your message.
- Mail message size - Checks for the ideal size of 100KB. The recommended email size range is between 15KB and 102KB.
- Link domain consistency - Checks that your link domains are consistent with your sender domain.
- Phishing links - Checks whether your email contains unsecure links.
- Image URLs - Checks whether your image URLs are valid.
- Alternative text for images - Checks the alternative texts for your images.1
- Responsiveness - Checks mobile responsiveness of your message.
- Image domain consistency - Checks whether your email contains suspicious image links.
1 All Emarsys templates use transparent images called trans.gifs to maintain the height and width of tables. These images contain no alternative text and are therefore being picked up by this check. This is a known issue and will be fixed in a future release. Until then, if you have checked all your images for alternative text and still see this message, you can safely ignore it.
Email Basics Checks
These are email authentication, domain and IP checks. When you want to send an email from a specific domain (e.g. emarsys.com), different checks show whether the email can be authenticated or not. These help to differentiate your emails from spoof emails which pretend to come from legitimate domains.
- DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) - Checks the domain key configuration of your sender domain.
- DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting and Conformance) - Checks your DMARC record configuration. Emarsys determines the DMARC settings for your complete protection, so you must make sure that you follow these.
- DNS records (Domain Name System) - Checks the DNS record configuration of your sender domain.
- Sender policy framework record - Checks the authorization of your sender domain.
Fixing your deliverability issues
Below we have listed the most common warning messages, with links through to guidelines on how to fix the issues.
- There is a problem with your email authentication.
- There appears to be an error with your SPF record.
- Your DMARC record is not correctly configured. It contains important rules for ISPs about email handling.
If you have the resources to check your own deliverability settings, please do so. Otherwise contact Emarsys Support.
- It looks like you haven't included alternative text. Using it can help improve accessibility and engagement when images are not displaying.
Go to the content editor and open the image properties. Add a suitable alternative text in the field provided.
Remember that alternative text is used by search engines and screen readers so make sure it is relevant and understandable.
- Empty subject line
- Your subject line is missing.
- Your subject line is too long; some devices will crop it from the 35th character. Make sure your call to action appears in the front part of your subject line.
- Some elements of your subject line had been flagged by SpamAssassin. We suggest you try some alternative wording for the following(s): %s.
Open the Email Basics tab of the content editor and rework your subject line, following our guidelines on Writing A Good Subject Line.
- Email content is missing. Please add content to your email and try again.
- Empty HTML content
- There is a problem with the TEXT part of your email template. Please contact Emarsys Support.
- We have detected syntax errors in your HTML code. Please validate it and try again.
- We cannot detect your TEXT version. Please include it and try again.
- If you are using the Emarsys VCE editor
For HTML issues, check your email content, in particular any blocks whose source code you might have editor yourself, either in the email or in the template.
For text version issues, contact Emarsys Support as this is generated automatically by Emarsys and cannot be edited.
- If you are using your own HTML code
For HTML issues, many editors can validate your code for you, and you can find some free tools online here: Validating your HTML.
- For text version issues, please read our guidelines on text versions and update your code accordingly.
- Your email size is %dKB. We recommend keeping it under %dKB to avoid issues such as content cropping.
Read our guidelines on email size for tips on how to reduce the overall size of your email.
- We could not detect media queries in your source code. Your email may not display correctly on different devices.
This only applies to you if you are using your own HTML code, since all Emarsys templates are built to be mobile responsive (unless you have explicitly decided otherwise). Read our guidelines on mobile-responsive HTML and update your code.
This tab is a reminder to keep checking your email performance over time to identify trends that can either be corrected or optimized further.
On this tab you can preview your mail in different formats.
You can view your message in Text preview, HTML preview and Mobile preview.
Your Deliverability Engagement Score
The DES is a summary of the engagement levels of your contacts over the past two weeks or three months (whichever it takes to cover 20,000 sent emails). Your open, click and unsubscribe rates are compared against the Emarsys global averages and each one is awarded a score between 0 and 100, according to how high they rank. Typical values are provided for the three response metrics separately. These are based on the data of all our customers who have sent at least 20,000 emails in the past three months.
The overall score can therefore range from 0 (if you have the worst engagement of any account in all three categories) to 300 (if you are our highest global performer in all three categories). In reality of course both of these scores are highly unlikely. It is more important to stay within the green band (see below), and to use the actual score itself to measure your own progress over time.
What good is this to me?
You should always keep an eye on your DES as it can be a helpful indicator of deliverability problems. Each and every launched email campaign can change this score: it can either increase it in the case of high email engagement and good deliverability, or decrease it if the engagement is low.
The DES scores are color-coded as follows:
- Red 0 -> 100 points. This means that your results are in the lowest 10% of all Emarsys accounts.
- Orange 101 -> 200 points. This means that your results rank between 10% and 40% on the global scale.
- Green 201 -> 300 points. This means that your results are in the best-performing 60% of accounts
Important: Don t forget that your good deliverability improves the overall reputation of Emarsys as a global email provider, which in turn benefits you. This is a classic virtuous circle in the making.