Here you can find instructions on how to work with CRM Ads.
Before you start we strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the use cases and examples.
Before you can start to work with CRM Ads you must have a Facebook Ads or a Google account connected. To check the status of your connections, open the Campaigns menu and select CRM Ads. You will see the connected accounts listed on the Settings Tab:
If you do not see any connected accounts, please connect your accounts.
The Settings tab
The Settings tab is where you connect to your Ads account(s).
When you are connected to an Ads account, you can see the details of the Ads account listed here. It is possible to have multiple Ads accounts connected at the same time. You can connect to other Ads accounts by clicking the Create New Connection button and selecting the respective network in the drop-down. You can disconnect an Ads account by clicking the X icon.
Facebook Conversion Types
Your Facebook Ads accounts show a small cog wheel icon which you can click to see your Facebook Conversion Types. This icon is visible on both the Settings tab and on the Campaign Reports.
Click this icon to display the Conversion Types that Facebook supports. The types selected are the ones which contribute to your conversion and revenue reporting (see below). You can change this selection at any time.
It is very important to have a Facebook pixel configured, as this is what enables CRM Ads to report revenue and conversions across all touchpoints, including Views. It also helps Facebook optimize towards conversions when creating Lookalike audiences, and helps if you are tracking Last Click in Google Analytics. Read more about the Facebook Pixel Setup and Conversion Tracking in the Facebook documentation.
The Assets tab
On the Assets tab you can see all audiences that you have created and transferred to the network for all your connected Ads accounts, as well as any Facebook Lead Ads subscriptions. It also has controls for creating and editing audiences and for accessing the campaign reporting.
As well as the audience Name, Type, Ad account and Created date, the following properties are listed:
- Updated – The date and time that the audience was last synced with the ad network.
Status – There are several possible values for this column:
- Transferring – The source audience has been created in Emarsys and sent to the network; the network is searching for matching profiles and has not yet finished. This process may take a few hours.
- Too few contacts – The network audience has been created but there are not enough contacts for you to be able to start an ads campaign
- Ready – The network audience has been created and it is ready for you to target with your ads campaign.
- Live – The network audience has been created and you have launched an ads campaign to it.
- Transfer failed – The network audience has been created but the transfer of the contacts failed. This may happen when there are temporary network issues or service outages.
- Deleted from network – The network audience has been deleted. Please delete the audience in CRM Ads.
- Pending on network – The network is processing the successfully transferred audience. For Facebook this process may take up to 1 hour to complete. For Google this process can take up to 24 hours to complete. This status is only shown for segment audiences.
- Segment too large – The segment size exceeds the maximum supported size.
- Segment was removed – The daily sync has detected that the segment has been removed.
- Archived – Audiences which are not used by an active campaign and active ad-set/ad-group for three months are archived.
- Size – The size of the audience on the network. Google audiences display the Google search list size (rather than the YouTube or Gmail list size).
- Match Rate – How many contacts were matched by the network for ad targeting.
Additionally, match rate is not calculated for Automation Center Audiences.
Creating and Editing Audiences
First, check the onboarding video about Creating Audiences:
Click Create New Asset button to open the creation wizard.
- Select the asset type (see About Audiences for more information).
- Select the network.
- Click Audience Creation.
- For Automation Center Audiences, simply give it a name and description.
- For Segment audiences, you need to select Segment Audience, then proceed as follows:
a. Select a segment,
b. Create an audience based on this segment.
- For Smart Reactivation Audiences, select the account (Facebook and/or Google) you want to use.
- For Lookalike audiences, you need to create a Lookalike Audience based on the audience that you generated in Step b. above.
- If more than one Ads account is connected for a respective network, you may select the preferred Ads account.
4. Click Save. The audience will now appear in the audiences list with the status Transferring.
Here you can edit the audience name and description and see the Audience Details. These are the same as the columns in the Assets List, with the addition of the Source segment name and size.
The synchronization of the audiences with their source segments depends on their usage in your ad campaigns.
- If the audience is used by an active campaign and active ad-set/ad-group, it will be updated on a daily basis.
- If the audience has not been used by an active campaign and active ad-set/ad-group for more than a week, it will be automatically switched to weekly sync interval.
- If the audience has not been used by an active campaign and active ad-set/ad-group for more than a month, it will be automatically switched to monthly sync interval.
- If the audience has not been used by an active campaign and active ad-set/ad-group for more than three months, it will be automatically archived.
A check is performed daily to see which audiences are in use and the sync schedule is then updated accordingly.
The daily synchronization of segment-based audiences is limited to a total of 20 million contacts. You must ensure that the total sum of all the segments used for these audiences does not exceed this number (including contacts counted more than once and archived contacts).
Please consider that:
- If the number of contacts in your segment audience reaches 80% of this value (i.e. 16 million contacts), a warning will be displayed.
- If the number of contacts in your segment audience reaches 110% of this value (i.e. 22 million), the daily synchronization will stop and you will receive a notification.
- If you have more than 100 audiences or 20 Lead Ads subscriptions, the daily synchronization will stop.
An audience will be archived in any of the following scenarios:
- The audience was inactive for three months (unused by an active campaign and active ad-set/ad-group).
- The audience's connection was not re-connected for 30 days (after being disconnected).
- The audience was deleted on ad network.
Archived audiences will not be synchronized with their source segments.
Once an audience has been archived, it cannot be restored and used again.
If you want to reuse an archived audience, you will have to create another one with the same properties and settings.