What is Facebook Ads?
Facebook Ads is the Facebook display advertising module, which lets you launch ads campaigns to contacts, as:
- A simple Facebook right-side ad, shown to the right of the news feed.
- As a Suggested Post / Sponsored Stories, shown in the news feed itself.
- As sponsored stories for the Facebook mobile app.
CRM Ads integrates with this so that you can match your Emarsys contacts with their Facebook profiles and create custom audiences in, so that you can target these micro-segments individually. These custom audiences are dynamic and, once created, are updated in real time.
Once the ads campaign is activated, neither you nor Emarsys play any further part in the campaign execution. Facebook will target the selected audience with the adverts you have created, according to its own algorithms, until your monthly budget limit has been reached or the campaign reaches its end.
See also: Creating Facebook Ads Campaigns.
Please note that Emarsys has no control over how and when Facebook displays your ads.
What are Facebook Custom Audiences?
Custom audiences are lists of Facebook users which correspond to the contact lists and segments that you create in Emarsys. Facebook creates these audiences for you by checking for user profiles associated with email addresses you provide.
A Facebook audience must have a minimum of 20 contacts for Facebook to use it for ad targeting. Read more about audiences in the Facebook documentation.
Why is it so special?
There are a number of reasons why every Emarsys user who is also active on Facebook should be interested in CRM Ads:
- Like other Facebook integrations, you can use Facebook’s own data to refine your segments even further.
- Unlike other Facebook integrations, however, Emarsys can continuously synchronize your audiences with their source segments, so you don’t need to worry about manually updating them.
- Another innovation is using the Automation Center to fill audiences based on contact behavior (Automation Audiences) rather than just on contact properties. Here, you effectively let the audience build itself from the contacts who are sharing that particular customer journey, and can target them accordingly.
- You can create Facebook Lookalike audiences from your most valuable customer segments, and target new leads who share the characteristics that define those segments.
- When using CRM Ads in conjunction with email campaigns, you can extend your reach by up to three times by switching channel and targeting contacts on Facebook who did not respond to your email.
Filtering your audiences further with Facebook’s own data
When you create an Automation or a Segment audience, you can also choose to filter this audience further using Facebook’s own data. If you select this option, you can restrict the contacts that Facebook puts in the audience according to:
You can filter by one of: country, region or city (these refer to the Facebook profile, not your Emarsys contact properties). Within each option, multiple selection is possible.
- Note: Facebook will only create a lookalike audience based on a single country. To target prospects in more than one country, you will have to create multiple lookalike audiences based on the same source audience.
These are the interests that Facebook users have included in their profiles. You can drill down through the hierarchy of categories offered by Facebook, and next to each category is the total number of Facebook users worldwide who share that interest.