This feature must be enabled for you by Emarsys Support, and requires steps 1 and 2 of the Web Extend Data Collection Scripts to be implemented.
Creating a Web Channel campaign
To create a Web Channel campaign, go to Campaigns, Web Channel, select the Campaigns tab and click Create Campaign.
This brings you to the Tactic Selector page. Here you can choose from a series of pre-built tactical templates, each designed to achieve a specific marketing goal, or you can start building a campaign from scratch by selecting one of the available campaign types under the Blank campaign heading.
Currently, the following campaign types are supported:
- Overlay – Your personalized message will appear as an overlay above your normal website content.
- Embedded – Your personalized message will replace a selected web page element on your website. For example, you can display different welcome images for different customer segments on your home page.
- Ribbon – Your personalized message will be appear at the top or bottom of the page in a narrow ribbon, which only minimally affects your visitors’ browsing experience. For example, you can use this campaign type to remind them of an ongoing offer or they personal voucher code that is about to expire.
If you want to use a sign-up form in your Web Channel campaign, select one of the Contact acquisition tactics.
After you have selected the campaign type, make the following Campaign Settings.
- Campaign name – This will identify the campaign on the Web Channel dashboard.
- Campaign domain – You can select the domain on which you want to run the campaign. Only domains already associated with your account are listed here.
Segment – Here you can define the target audience of the campaign. The available options are:
- Platform segment – If you select this option you will be able to select any of the segments already available in your account.
- All visitors – Every visitor will see the campaign on your website.
- Unidentified visitors – Only visitors Emarsys cannot identify will see the campaign on your website.
- Automation Center – Select this option when you want to use the Web Channel campaign in an Automation Center program. Lear more about how you can use Web Channel in the Automation Center.
Please bear in mind that if customers already found in your contact database visit your website from a new device or browser they will be treated as unidentified visitors until they log in or perform any other action on the basis of which we can identify them.
Filters – Here you apply additional filters on the selected contacts segments for more precise targeting. The following filters are available:
- Language – You can select the language of the website where you want to run the campaign. This option allows you to use localized campaigns in multi-language web stores. If you select a language here, the campaign will only appear when the website is showing content in the selected language.
- Cart Value – Use this filter to target those customers only whose shopping cart value meets the criterion you define here.
- Purchase Value – Use this filter to target those customers only whose purchase value meets the criterion you define here.
Page & Zone
In the Page & Zone step, you define how and where your Web Channel campaign is displayed on your website.
Show on these pages – Here you can select to display the campaign on specific pages or on specific URLs. The available options are:
- All pages – The campaign will be shown on all the pages of your website.
Choose by type
- Category page only – The campaign will be shown only on the product category pages of your website (e.g. Men’s T-shirts).
- Product details page only – The campaign will be shown only on the product pages where users can see the details of a single product.
- Search results page only – The campaign will be shown only the pages where your website displays product search results.
- After purchase only – The campaign will be shown only after the customer made a purchase.
Full URL contains
- URL part – Here you can specify the characters or URL segment which must be found in the URL of a page in order for the campaign to be displayed.
There is a preview pane in the left hand side of the screen, which helps you select the pages, and in the case of embedded campaigns: also the zone within the pages, where you want to display you Web Channel campaign.
This pane works as an internet browser that allows you to browse the pages of your website. At the top, you can see some browser controls as well as an address bar that displays the URL path segment of the page your are viewing so that you can copy it for URL-based campaigns.
It also shows the page category, if available, and whether the page will be included in the campaign.
Clicking the Test button in the top right corner of the preview pane will open a new tab in your browser to show a campaign preview on your website.
For Embedded campaigns only:
This is where you can select the zone on your website which will be replaced by your personalized Web Channel message. You can also save the selected area for future use.
To select the zone within a page, click Select at the top. The selected zone will be highlighted in blue in the preview window.
Once you have selected the zone, switch back to navigation mode by clicking Navigate.
- Image – An image will be your Web Channel message. The image will be loaded from the Image URL and will link to the Link URL you specify here.
- HTML – The HTML content you enter here will be shown in the campaign.
Form – For contact acquisition campaigns types, this is the only option you see here and it lets you select a predefined form in a drop-down list. If you have not created any forms yet in your account, you can do so by going to Forms > Forms and clicking Create Form.
To enter a post-registration message, which will appear when your visitors have submitted the form, first click the Creative Selector tab on the left and select Post registration, then go back to the Creative Editor.
You need to upload separate HTML content for desktop and mobile browsers. You can select the platform by clicking the respective icons above the HTML code input block. If you do not enter any mobile content the Web Channel campaign will not be shown on mobile devices, or, conversely, if you do not add any desktop content, it will not be displayed in desktop browsers.
You can personalize the text content of your campaigns by using variables to populate your message with values from your Emarsys database fields or other external data sources. To personalize your text in this way, proceed as follows:
When the message is displayed on your website, these personalization tokens will be replaced by values from the data fields you selected, for example, by your contact’s first name in the salutation.
- At this stage, no preview is provided for personalization tokens.
- Personalization may show outdated values for fields in which values change often, such as
last session productsor
last abandoned products, as changes in these fields propagate to Web Channel with a delay. Please take this into consideration when using such fields for personalization.
Trigger & Scheduling
Then select when you want to display the Web Channel content:
Scheduling – Defines the duration of the campaign. The default is 7 days starting on the current day.
Under Display frequency, you can define how many times and how often you want the campaign to appear for a given contact.
The option Let the machine decide (AI) is currently an experimental feature, available for development purposes only.
Display Trigger (available for Overlay campaigns only)
- Entry – The campaign will be displayed when the customer visits your website.
- Exit – The campaign will be displayed when the customers intends to leave your website.
- Stop targeting recipients after click – If enabled, the campaign will not be shown to visitors who have already clicked it. Note that closing an overlay does not count as a click.
- Show only for logged in users – If enabled, only visitors who are logged in to your website will see the campaign.
Once you click Save, the campaign will become visible on the Campaigns tab as either a draft or ready campaign.
As long as a campaign’s status is draft or ready you can edit it at any time.
Activating a campaign
You can instantly activate a campaign you have just created by clicking Save and Activate in the Scheduling step of the campaign editor.
Allow about five minutes for the campaign to display after clicking Activate or Save and Activate.
Stopping a campaign
Allow about five minutes for the campaign to stop displaying after clicking Stop.
You can edit a campaign at any time if its status is draft or ready but you cannot edit a running campaign. If you need to edit a running campaign first you have to stop it (see above).
On the Campaigns tab, your campaigns are listed in order of priority, the topmost item having the highest priority. Priority determines which Web Channel campaign is displayed for customers who are targeted by more than one campaign. It is to prevent you from overloading your contacts with personalized website overlays.
If a customer is targeted by more than one Web Channel campaigns, they will only see the one that is found higher in the priority list (i.e. has a lower priority value assigned to it). A high-priority campaign will be skipped only when a condition preventing it from displaying is fulfilled. Only then will the campaign next in the priority list start showing for the same contact.
You can demote or promote your campaigns in the priority list by clicking the up and down arrows in the Priority column next to the name of the campaign.