Shopify can be easily integrated with Emarsys using our Shopify app, which does the hard work for you. Just a few mouse clicks, and it connects your store and automatically syncs customers, events and orders to Emarsys. Then you will be able to use your Shopify data in Emarsys for creating smart contact segments, personalizing your messages, building event-based programs and automating retention marketing.
The app also automatically installs our Web Extend data collection scripts on your store, which will allow you to deliver personalized product recommendations both on your website and in emails or to track revenue from your campaigns.
Here you will find all the information you need to set up and work with the Emarsys for Shopify integration.
- Regular upload of all customer data fields from Shopify to Emarsys.
- Daily sync of contact opt-in data from Emarsys to Shopify (
accepts marketingfield in Shopify).
- Automated triggering of Shopify e-commerce events as external events in Emarsys.
- Automated upload of all product data from Shopify to Emarsys.
- Automated upload of all order data from Shopify to Emarsys.
- Automated installation of the Web Extend data collection scripts on your Shopify themes.
- A Shopify or Shopify Plus store.
- A fully set up and working Emarsys Marketing Platform account.
- An Emarsys merchant ID.
- Emarsys API credentials for authentication.
- All of the above should already have been set up as part of your standard Emarsys onboarding. If you are missing any of them, please contact Emarsys Support.
- You will only be able to track revenue from email campaigns if you have an enterprise-level Shopify Plus subscription, due to the limitations that come with the standard packages.
- If you have more than one Shopify store, you will need to map each one to a separate Emarsys account.
Installing the app
If you already have contacts in your Emarsys account, consult Emarsys Support before installing our Shopify app. The app will import your Shopify contact data to Emarsys and overwrite any existing values, so we can help you to protect any critical data that has been collected in Emarsys, such as opt-in status.
- To install the Emarsys module in Shopify, copy and paste this URL into the address bar of your browser:
Where www.myshop.com is your webshop URL without http:// or https://.
- Log in to your Shopify store and click Install unlisted app.
- You will now see the app listed on the Shopify Apps page.
Connecting to Emarsys
On the Apps page, click the app link to open the app dashboard.
The dashboard shows a number of boxes, each representing an integration step. The vertical alignment of the boxes indicates the recommended order of the steps you must complete, so you should ideally start with the top box and work your way down.
Click Connect in the topmost box, and then enter your Emarsys API username and Emarsys API secret, then click Connect.
- You should already have your API credentials as an API user should have been created as part of your standard Emarsys onboarding. Your technical specialist should know where you store this information.
- If you cannot find your existing API username and secret, or if you do not have any, create a new API user.
In the Customers section, click Enable to turn on the regular upload of your Shopify customers to the Emarsys contact database. This will enable you to make use of your Shopify data in your marketing campaigns.
The progress of the initial upload is tracked in the Upload status pane. When it is finished a Live flag will be displayed on the left.
After the initial upload of your customer data, you will be able to modify the default field mappings. To do so, click Edit matching.
In the Field matching section you can choose which fields to map between Shopify and Emarsys.
You have to wait until all your customers are uploaded to Emarsys before you can start uploading your Shopify events, products and orders, or install our web behavior tracking scripts. This may take up to a few hours, depending on the size of your customer database.
In the Products section, click Enable to turn on the regular upload of your product data to Emarsys.
With this information at your disposal, you will be able to target specific customer segments on the basis of which products they bought, viewed or left in their shopping carts, or send them tailor-made product recommendations.
In the Orders section, click Enable to turn on the regular upload of your orders to Emarsys.
This information is essential for Emarsys features such as revenue reporting or product affinity models, and helps to make our smart features even smarter.
Web behavior tracking
Our Web Extend scripts track visitor interactions on your website and process this information to serve validated data to various Emarsys applications, such as Smart Insight, Predict or the Automation Center. The app will install them automatically for you.
All your active themes are listed here. Click Add for each one or Add to all to install the Web Extend data collection scripts on all of them.
- You can always test the data collection scripts on a test theme that is not live in your web store.
- Whenever you start using a new theme, make sure you add the scripts to it.
- Currently, the dashboard does not give any indication of whether the scripts are already installed on the listed themes. Try to keep track of which theme already has them. But do not worry; you cannot break the integration if you add the scripts to a theme in which they are already there.