You can integrate your Shopify store with Emarsys by using our Shopify app, which does the hard work for you. Just a few mouse clicks, and it connects your store and automatically syncs customers, events and orders to Emarsys. Then you will be able to use your Shopify data in Emarsys for creating smart contact segments, personalizing your messages, building event-based programs and automating retention marketing.
After setting up the Emarsys plug-in, you can install our Web Extend data collection scripts on your store which will allow you to deliver personalized product recommendations in emails or to track revenue from your campaigns.
Please consider the following about product recommendations:
- Predict can calculate the recommendations by using the data coming from the Emarsys plug-in.
- The Emarsys plug-in does not have an editor with which you can modify the recommendation widgets.
- The Email Recommender is part of the Visual Content Editor. You can easily create your Email Recommender by following the instructions in Adding recommendation to your emails.
- If you would like to use the Web Recommender, then you need to add the Web Recommender template to your webshop manually.
Here you will find all the information you need to set up and work with the Emarsys for Shopify integration:
- Regular upload of all default and individually mapped customer data fields from Shopify to Emarsys in near real time.
Please note that the Emarsys plug-in for Shopify relies on the Shopify database as its primary data source, so if you change any data in Emarsys, then it will be overwritten the next time the given contact is synchronized (i.e. by adjusting the mapping) based on your Shopify store's actual status except for
If contacts are created by using another source and added to Shopify later, then updates will not be synchronized to Shopify when
opt-in data are changed in Emarsys. If you need to collect contact data primarily in Emarsys, please use the Lead Acquisition (Shopify) Tactic.
This is how opt-in data is synced between Shopify (
accepts marketing field) and Emarsys (
true (subscribed) -> Emarsys:
false (unsubscribed) -> Emarsys:
NULL (if the
opt-in field is already
false in Emarsys, then it will remain
false and will not change to
true -> Shopify:
empty -> Shopify:
false -> Shopify as
- Sync of contact opt-in data from Emarsys to Shopify (
accepts marketingfield in Shopify) in near real time.
This sync process only applies to contacts who exist in Shopify (i.e. contacts whose Shopify ID is available in Emarsys).
- Automated triggering of Shopify e-commerce events as external events in Emarsys.
- Automated upload of all product data from Shopify to Emarsys.
- Automated upload of all order data from Shopify to Emarsys.
- Automated installation of the Web Extend data collection scripts on your Shopify themes.
- The Emarsys Set contact data node can be used in any of your Shopify Flow programs.
Note that 3rd party plug-ins may change the default behavior of the store. Emarsys cannot guarantee compatibility with other plug-ins, such as a custom payment provider that tracks data differently, and may prevent purchase information from being synchronized. Before installing a new plug-in, we recommend contacting Emarsys support.
How does the Emarsys plug-in for Shopify and Shopify Plus work?
You can see in the following architecture overview how data is synchronized from Shopify to Emarsys via the Emarsys plug-in.
How often is data synchronized from Shopify to Emarsys?
Data is synced from Shopify to Emarsys in near real time similar to contact changes and updates.
Only the opt-in data is synced from Emarsys to Shopify. Opt-in data is synced in near real time unless there are connection-related issues. After an opt-in change, Emarsys triggers a Shopify webshop update instantly. In most cases, it takes 1-2 minutes. In case of a webshop outage or if your connection speed appears to be slow, the sync might take longer. If Emarsys cannot update the opt-in data on your end, then the following happens:
1. After a couple of retries (after a few minutes), the change request is put into the queue.
2. The change request stays in the queue for 60 minutes.
3. After 60 minutes, Emarsys initiates the update again.
4. This cycle is repeated for 24 hours (it starts when the opt-in change is received in Emarsys).
5. If Emarsys cannot update your webshop within 24 hours, then the opt-in change will be discarded.
Data is synchronized from Shopify to Emarsys as follows:
- The following data types are synced in real time:
- Customer data: Customer standard fields and metafields
- Order data
- Web behavior data
- The following data types are synced each hour:
- Product data
Emarsys may process different data types with a varying frequency (e.g. Smart Insight synchronizes the updates on a daily basis).
After installing the Emarsys plug-in, you will subscribe to all the webhooks. The webhooks are also required to use the Shopify Tactics. You can use the webhook event content for:
In the following table, you can see which Shopify event triggers which Emarsys event.
|Topic / event type in Shopify||External event name in Emarsys|
||Order by New Customer|
||Order by Recurring Customer|
||Order Partially Fulfilled|
||Fulfillment Events Created|
||Fulfillment Events Deleted|