In this step, you can select the unique identifier that should be identical in your sales data file and in the Emarsys database that is used to:
- identify your contacts when they make a purchase and
- store their registration date.
Depending on how you would like to upload your data, the unique identifier can be set up differently.
Here you can also select the contact fields that you would like to use to customize your Smart Insight reports and contact segments to your needs.
contacts_extract.csv file is created automatically and processed by Smart Insight every day (it’s displayed on the Data Loads tab). Smart Insight has its own database and fetches data from the Emarsys database and from the product, purchase and contact files. Only the contact fields that you configured on the Smart Insight Settings page are stored in this database. So, if you have to reset the contact data in Smart Insight, then contacts will not be deleted from the Emarsys database.
The following flowchart helps you select the right unique identifier, the field we use to identify contacts:
All you need to know about the unique identifier
You can find the most important pieces of information about the unique identifier in the following sections. Please take these into consideration before changing the unique identifier:
- Things to keep in mind when choosing the unique identifier
- Changing the unique identifier severely impacts the Loyalty Add-On
- Choose a unique identifier only from the Contact Fields displayed on the UI
- Changing the contact identification method in Web Extend may break your Smart Insight integration
- Things to keep in mind when using Web Extend
- Things to keep in mind when uploading sales data via the Sales Data API or JS API
Things to keep in mind when choosing the unique identifier
Please consider the following when choosing the unique identifier:
- If you have a custom alphanumeric ID field in your file instead of email addresses, select that field from the drop-down.
- If you have email addresses in your file and you would like to use the sales data API, select a Predict user ID field.
- If you would like to use the SFTP server and you have email addresses in your files, select the email field as the unique identifier.
Changing the unique identifier severely impacts the Loyalty Add-On
Changing the unique identifier after the Smart Insight setup severely impacts the Emarsys Loyalty Add-On. In such a case, you need to reimplement the add-on.
Choose a unique identifier only from the Contact Fields displayed on the UI
You can choose a unique identifier only from the Contact Fields that are offered to you on the UI. You can check the identifier fields generated and used internally by Emarsys on the Data Export page, for example, user ID / contact ID. Do not rely on these in any way, using our internal variables outside Emarsys as identifiers is considered a risky implementation practice.
Changing the contact identification method in Web Extend may break your Smart Insight integration
Changing the contact identification method in Web Extend may break your Smart Insight integration if it receives sales data via the Web Extend data collection scripts.
To avoid breaking your Smart Insight integration, after changing the contact identification method in Web Extend you need to modify your Smart Insight settings as follows:
- Change the unique ID on the Contact Fields tab according to your new Web Extend settings.
- Prepare a sample CSV file where you need to remap the purchase data fields so that they include the customer ID.
- Stop uploading the delta files to Predict, then empty the Smart Insight database.
- Perform a full historical data reload with the sales data containing the new identifier into Smart Insight via Predict. Please contact Emarsys Support to perform this action.
- Optionally, if you use your own product catalog instead of the Predict product catalog, upload a historical catalog to the Smart Insight SFTP as well.
Things to keep in mind when using Web Extend
- If you would like to use Web Extend, make sure you have already implemented the Web Scripts data collection scripts in your store, otherwise you will not be able to use the Web Extend web behavior fields for filtering.
- If you use
predictUserId. In this case, you need to change the Unique identifier to
predictUserIdon the Smart Insight Settings > Contact Fields tab. This is how your settings should look like:
Things to keep in mind when uploading sales data via the Sales Data API or JS API
- If you upload the sales data into Smart Insight via Sales data API or JS API and use, for example,
predictUserId. As a result, the number of unidentified contacts and sales data that is not attributed to contacts (i. e. the result of duplication) will increase. To prevent or fix this issue, set the Unique identifier to
predictUserIdon the Smart Insight Settings > Contact Fields tab and do the same during the upload.
Furthermore, if you have already uploaded sales data via Predict or JS API and used
predictUserId on the Smart Insight Settings > Contact Fields tab and by doing the same during the next upload to sync all data.
- If you change the Unique identifier in the contact fields and the Contact identifier in the sales data file, then it will not create duplicate contacts in the Smart Insight database. In this case, you don’t need to reload your data because the contacts will be identified retrospectively during the next data load.