The single most important advice we can give you with Black Friday approaching is to trust Emarsys.
We have built an infrastructure which, on the day itself last year, was capable of processing
- 521 million emails
- 20 million push messages
- 50 million API calls.
You can read more on the details here. But in short: we are ready.
There are a few things you can do to make the journey even smoother for yourself, and give your emails the edge over all the others competing for inbox space.
These best practices will also make your segments, campaigns and Automation Center programs run quicker and even more reliably.
- Use batch/recurring programs instead of transactional ones, if possible.
- Always follow the Design Advisor’s suggestions to make the program better.
- Filters should always be followed by an action node.
- Timer nodes are usually set to whole hours, so by setting your timers to other than whole hours, you can avoid congestion.
- If you want to send a follow-up email based on whether contacts did or did not open or click a previous message, include a wait of at least a couple of hours. This will give the ISPs time to deliver the first email, and give you a more reliable launch list.
- Try to keep segments in block targeting to a minimum (especially in the case of transactional mails).
- If you are planning a bigger sendout than usual (10x), please contact Emarsys Support for extra advice.
- Try to limit the number of criteria for the segments. Overusing behavior or geolocation criteria within a segment will lead to performance degradation. We suggest using not more than 30 criteria.
- Last year’s data show that the peak hours, between 6 AM and 10 AM CET were very crowded, you may want to avoid this time period.
- Using the unsubscribe feature instead of segmenting on unsubscribe link clicks speeds up behavior segments.
- Use manual or auto-import instead of API calls.
- Avoid import of new contacts if possible.
- Try to import contacts well ahead (i.e. at least one week).
- Don't base all your campaigns on email. Customers spend a lot of time online during this period so make use of our other channels such as push messages, SMS or CRM Ads.
- Campaigns without personalization and links are faster, especially during high traffic periods.
- Try to avoid peak hours (6 AM to 10 AM CET).
- Use faster segments (i.e. with less criteria, avoid heavy usage of geo-location or behavior segmentation).
- Non-personalised campaigns that are aimed to all visitors are the fastest.
- In the peak hours, the Automation Center audience refresh can become slower than usual because of the high traffic.
- In Reporting, note that it may take longer for data to show up on the screen during this period.
- When using the API for contact updates, use keys that you have tried out before (do not start experimenting with new one).