This article provides you information for setting up In-App campaigns for sending to user groups across multiple mobile platforms and devices.
In-app needs to be enabled explicitly for each app. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Go to Channels > Mobile Engage > App settings.
- Edit the app by clicking on the Details icon (pencil) symbol on the right side.
- Click Enable under the In-app Messages section on the App Settings page.
To navigate to In-App Messages, go to Channels >Mobile Engage > In-App Messages tab. On this tab you can see details of all your In-App messages listed with their Name, Recipient source, Status, App name, In-app Type, campaign Priority, the date it was Created and last Changed. Filtering/searching features are available, the Show only active messages option will omit all messages that are finished or cancelled from the list.
An In-App message can have one of the following Recipient sources:
- Broadcast - Sends In-App messages to all contacts.
- No Segment (Empty Audience) - Sends In-App messages from an Interactions program.
- Select a segment to send In-App messages to a Emarsys segment.
- Push Message - Select this option if the In-App message is to be targeted by a push campaign.
With segment there are two additional options. It is possible to either choose the segment to be refreshed every 24 hours based on the segment definition or to send to a current snapshot of the segment, in this case audience will be only updated from the automation program further on.
An In-App message can have one of the following statuses:
- In design – Some content or settings are still missing.
- Launched – In-App campaign has been launched and it is active.
- Finished - In-App campaign has finished and no longer active.
There are 2 possible In-App types, Overlay or Inline.
- Overlay - The In-App campaign is displayed over the entire screen and must be interacted with to navigate back to app screen.
- Inline - The In-App campaign is displayed in a predefined section of the screen.
The Priority defines the order of which the campaigns are displayed to contacts. When a contact is part of multiple campaign audiences, the result is the campaign with the highest priority is displayed. The highest priority setting is 1.
To adjust the priority setting of a campaign, click on Set Priority. Followed by selecting the campaign, then use the up/down icons to configure the priority level. Once the update is complete, click the Finish Prioritizing button to save the changes.
Creating a new In-App message
There are 2 options for creating an In-App message, Create Inline Message or Create In-App message. To get started, click either Create Inline Message or Create In-App Message in the In-App Message tab, to open the message creation wizard. Emarsys offers a very intuitive workflow for creating new In-App messages. These are presented in the form of the following main steps:
Inline messages are required to be preconfigured on the app, as the app will need to be instructed where to place the inline message. The technical details on how developers are to do this are available in the iOS and Android SDK implementation guides.
1. Message settings
Define the General settings of your brand new In-App message campaign.
- Message name – You can name (or later rename) your In-App message to identify the campaign on the In-App Messages tab.
- Mobile app – You can select the mobile application on which you want to display your message notification. You can send your message only to one application. Only apps already associated with your account are listed here.
Recipient source – Define the target audience of your message.
- Broadcast - Send to all contacts mobile devices.
- Audience - Send to contacts that are part of an Interactions program.
- Segment – You can select a pre-built segment, if you are using a segment for your recipient source.
- Apply segment criteria for devices – Optionally you can apply segment criteria for devices with various conditions
The options for Recipient source are as follows:
- Broadcast - Send to all contacts with mobile devices linked to the account. -
- Audience – Sends In-App messages from an Interactions program.
- Using a segment – Sends a push message to a Emarsys segment.
Mobile Engage In-App Message can only be used in an Interactions Program if the Recipient Source is set to Interactions and the In-App message is launched. After the In-App Message is launched, it can be selected in the drop-down menu of the Mobile Engage node in Interactions. If the In-App Message is not yet launched, then it will not show up in the drop-down.
Mobile Engage segmentation is included in the universal segmentation feature of Emarsys, available in the Contacts->Segments menu. For details, see Creating Mobile Engage segments.
Apply segment criteria for devices
Tick the Apply segment criteria for devices checkbox to enable device level filtering. By ticking this option, the Conditions drop-down list is appearing.
In the Conditions drop-down list you can select a segment criteria for mobile devices. If you initially created the segment and you added device level criteria here you can select that segment. The earlier set device level condition will be taken into consideration when sending a push message.
If you want to specify a device level condition you can do so by creating Mobile Engage segments. Here you can only verify that device level conditions specified when created a segment and these conditions are really taken into account.
An example of device-level conditions is to target a specific OS platform. Therefore if the contact has 2 registered devices, e.g. iPhone and Android, the contact is only received the message on the targeted OS device. Device-level conditions are also useful as the contact list does not display device information like OS platform, OS version etc.
When you are finished with your general settings, click Save as Draft to save your message for the first time.
2. Content creation
In the Content creation step you have 3 tabs + a Preview pane to use for defining the content of your In-App message campaign. The tabs (and the Preview pane) in the Content Editor are the following:
1. Template tab
In-App messages can be created based on predefined templates.The in-app Engage Mobile campaign templates come with a preset design that is easy for you to adapt to your brand and content.
The template options are full screen, modal or multistep templates. Select the most appropriate template by clicking on it.
For multistep messages, it is possible to edit the ordering of the individual steps in the left pane. In the Preview pane on the right, use the drop down box at the top of the preview to switch between the steps when editing.
2. Preview pane
The Preview pane on the right shows how your message will appear. On this section you can directly modify the text, fonts, images and action buttons of the campaign.
Personalisation is not presently available for In-App messages.
To edit the text, click on the text box and perform the update. When doing so, the text formatting options appear to allow customisation.
To edit the image, click on the image and then the Edit image properties. When doing so, the image properties box appear to assign the image.
We recommend using a CDN or our MediaDB server for the fastest rendering. The given URL must use HTTPS.
If the template chosen allows changing the background image, the option is available on the Styles tab.
3. Styles tab
In the Styles tab on the left, you can customise the settings, so the In-App messages appear native to the app.
The In-App style customisation options available include:
- Background image.
- Background opacity.
- Button background colour.
- Button border colour.
- Button border radius.
- Button border thickness.
- Close button background colour.
- Close button font colour.
- Close button position.
4. Languages tab
You can add and remove languages. Use the dynamic search field to find the requested language or select it from the drop-down list then click Add.
Add any new languages and write the message content in that language. Languages which are not shown here will receive the content in the app's default language.
You can delete languages as well, but a default language is mandatory.
If you add a language but it has no content, those customers will also receive content in the app's default language.
Testing an In-App message
Click Test Messages button on the right.
In the appearing Send Test Message window, you can specify an email address to which a test message will be sent.
The test email address must be a valid address in your Emarsys database, associated with a known device.
Test message is not available for inline In-app message type
If sending of the test message fails, a red warning message appears on the screen. The reasons for this could be the following:
- No contact has been found in Emarsys database with the given email address.
- The email address has been found, but there is no device associated to it.
To test your message, click Save & Send.
In the Scheduling section, you can define the campaign trigger, the frequency of displays, and what is the desired outcome after a click. Also, you can define a specific date and time in the future.
In the event trigger section, if event trigger is selected, enter the event name and event attributes conditions that need to be matched in order to trigger the message.
Click Save and Launch once the schedule has been configured.