This article provides you with information on how transactional push messages could be added to the user journey. The example provided in this document shows how transactional push messages can be configured if details of the Personalization is passed in the API trigger call.
- Drive loyalty
- Create engagement and awareness
- Emarsys SDK
- Mobile Push Campaigns
High level use case flow
Create the necessary Personalization tokens:
- Confirm sections of the messages that are to be dynamically updated using Personalization.
- Make the Personalization tokens available for campaigns.
Create the Push campaign message:
- Link to the correct app.
- Add Push campaign content, linked to personalization.
Create the External event:
- Add the external events to be used to trigger the campaign
Create the necessary Mobile Segment:
- Segment should be linked to the correct app.
Create the Interactions program:
- Design the contact journey.
The instructions to set up a basic Personalization token are below, for more detailed instructions see our Personalization service documentation.
- To create a Personalization token, go to Content > Personalization.
- Click Create Token.
- Select External Data for the Personalization Capability.
- Enter a Name and choose a Category. If the Category is not available, create a new one by clicking Create Category.
Categories are used to group tokens to make their usage even more organized and transparent. Category creation does not have a separate user interface for the time being. This means, among others, that once created, they cannot be deleted, therefore we advise you to use this feature carefully to avoid confusion on the interface.
- Click on New in the JSON object section and enter the JSON payload details, an example is below:
- In the Field section, select the field the Personalization token will display/update in the campaign.
- Click Save.
Push campaign creation
- To create an Push campaign, go to Channels > Mobile Engage > Push Messages tab, and click Create Push campaign to launch the campaign wizard.
- Fill in the general settings, giving the Push campaign a name, linking it to the app, and selecting the Recipient source as ‘Automation Center’.
- Type your message content in the preview pane and drag in any relevant personalization tokens or add images for rich push.
Keep the message concise and with a friendly tone. If you are going to send offers via Push, it's a valuable motivator if the message is engaging.
- Once complete, click Ready to Launch and the Push Notification will be able to be selected from the relevant Interactions Program
- To create an external event, go to Management > External Event.
- Click on Create External Event.
- Give the event a name and click Create.
Take note of the new assigned ID number for the External Event as it will be needed later on when creating the API call.
For the purpose of this guide, the segment created will limit the recipients to a test user.
- To create a segment to be used in the Interactions program, go to Contacts > Segment.
- Click on Create Segment.
- Select Contact, Email behaviour, Geo, Smart Insight segment
Enter the segment criteria and click Save & Apply.
- To create an Interactions program, go to Automation > Automation.
- Click on Create Program and select Behavior-focused journeys (Interactions).
- Select External event as the trigger.
- Double click on the External event node.
- Select the external event created for the campaign using the drop down menu and click OK.
- Click on the Decision node to add it to the program. Double click on the new Decision node in the program, add the segment created previously and click OK.
- Click on the channel Mobile Engage push message, to add the node to the program.
It is possible to add other functions to the program, e.g. A/B test, for the purpose of this guide, the example program is kept basic.
- Double click on the Mobile Engage push message node.
- Select the push campaign created for the campaign using the drop down menu and click OK.
- Click Activate to make the program live.
Test trigger campaign
To test the campaign using an API call, Emarsys has provided an online tool to trigger events. First, an API user needs to be created if one is not available already. Only Account Owners have the ability to create API Users. The option to create the API details is in the Management > Security Settings section of the account.
- Once the API Username and the Secret token are available, go to the Emarsys API test tool and open the Triggering an External Event section.
- Enter the External Event ID that was previously created.
- Enter the Key ID, which is the field ID used for the contact identification. For example "3" is the ID for the email field. If email is not to be used for identification, go to the Management > Field Editor to retrieve the appropriate field ID.
- Enter the Key Value, which is the contact ID being used. For example if 3 (the email address) is the Key ID provided in the previous step, enter the email address of the test user in this section.
- In the Data section, enter the JSON payload to be sent in the API call.
- Click Trigger to fire the API call. On the right of the screen, the Request Body and HTTP status is displayed to confirm if the request was successful.
More information on the Emarsys API can be found in our API documentation.