- If you would like to use the Custom SMS node, please contact your Client Success Manager.
- The Custom SMS node is only available in the Automation Center.
You can send transactional or batch SMS or MMS messages to your customers with the provider of your choice in Automation Center programs by using this node.
This node is asynchronous, which means that the Automation Center program will continue to execute the subsequent nodes without waiting for all messages to be sent.
Typical use cases
With the Custom SMS node you can:
- Send SMS notifications to your customers when the food they ordered is being delivered.
- Inform your customers about the status of their orders via SMS.
- Send batch messages to your customers to inform them about your weekly special offers.
If you would like to use the Custom SMS node, please send us the following:
- Your HTTP API documentation,
- Your API credentials,
- Your expected daily peak or monthly volume of SMS messages,
- The way you would like to handle unsubscribes and
- The SMS opt-in field we should update for unsubscribes (if applicable).
Adding a Custom SMS node to your program
To add a Custom SMS node to your program, proceed as follows:
1. Open your Automation Center program and add the Custom SMS node to it.
2. Set the Custom SMS node as required.
Here you can specify the following values:
a. Sender - The name or number of the sender. For the available options and limitations, see From name in section Preview.
Please note that the limit is sending 100.000 SMS messages per batch, but the limitations may vary depending on your service provider.
b. Recipient - The contact field in the Emarsys database that contains the recipients’ phone number (typically, either the contact field
phone (5) or
c. Number format - The phone number format of the contact field containing the recipients’ phone number.
d. Country or region code field - The contact field that contains the country or region code in ISO ALPHA-2 format (DE, GB, FR).
e. Fallback country or region - The fallback value that will be used if the Country or region code field is entry.
f. SMS Opt in check - Here you can set the Custom SMS node to send your message only to contacts who opted-in for marketing materials. You can set it to:
◦ Only accept true values (i.e.
◦ Accept empty values (
All contacts who have arrived at this node will proceed along the program regardless of whether they have received the SMS or not. Therefore, we recommend filtering contacts by your selected SMS Opt-in field before they arrive at this node by using a Segment or Filter switch node.
g. Message - The message that will be sent to your contacts.
The maximum length of a message is 160 characters for GSM7 standard or 70 characters for Unicode encoded messages. If you send a text that exceeds the maximum number of characters for one message, then the sent message will be segmented and charged accordingly. A long SMS that consists of two SMS messages counts as two messages.
You can personalize the message by using contact fields or relational data and you can also apply basic Emarsys Scripting Language (ESL) filters. To personalize the message, click the Personalization icon.
3. To check the preview of the personalized message, enter a unique contact identifier, then click Preview.
Checking the reports
You can check the total number of SMS messages sent and a breakdown on a per-node basis on the Add-ons > Custom SMS screen.
There are two options to manage unsubscribes:
- We can provide you with a short unsubscribe link that you can include in your SMS that is personalized with an Emarsys contact identifier when the message is sent. When contacts click the unsubscribe link, they will be taken to a webpage with a short text and an Unsubscribe from SMS messaging button.
- You can set up a short number and the STOP keyword with your service provider. We can provide you with an endpoint to which your provider can send inbound requests. When contacts send a keyword (e.g. STOP) to the short number, then the provider will send Emarsys a request, we will parse the request and if it contains the STOP keyword, then we will try to match the request with a phone number in the Emarsys database. As a result, any matching contacts will unsubscribe from your SMS messages (i.e. the field of your choice will be set to
falsein the Emarsys contact database).
Are there any limitations?
The number of transactions are limited to the amount agreed with the MRR.
We reserve the right to adapt the MRR if the limits are exceeded regularly.
The limit is sending 100.000 SMS messages per batch.
Are there any costs?
There is a one-time development fee to integrate with a new provider, or a lower implementation fee for the setup with an existing provider.
There is a recurring monthly fee based on the number of monthly SMS transactions to be processed.
For more details, please contact your Client Success manager.
For more information on existing providers, see List of available service providers.
Below is a list of our existing custom SMS partners.