The Abandoned Browse (Top selling category) Tactic reacts to customers who are viewing one of your best-selling product categories (based on the Top Product page) but who leave your website without making a purchase or leaving any products in their cart. This Tactic focuses on that single top-selling product category and it can include specific marketing materials related to that category (i.e. how-to choose guides, what is best for you recommendations etc.).
This funnel Tactic encourages customers to continue their journey to purchase by sending an email with the best-selling product category they recently browsed and some additional marketing materials related to that category.
You can include a buying guide in your campaign with instructions that help your clients make a better, more informed decision. Products reviews in this guide can contain a link to a category or a single page, so you can forward most of your contacts to one final choice.
People interested in buying guides are looking for extra pieces of information to feel more confident about their final choice. So, buying guides constitute a promising opportunity to encourage customers to move forward with their purchase.
This Tactic supports the Revenue objective by contributing to the following strategies:
- Convert leads to first-time buyers
- Convert first-time buyers to active customers
- Retain active customers
- Win back inactive customers
- Win back defecting customers
Please note that the Abandoned Browse, Abandoned Browse (Top selling product) and Abandoned Browse (Top selling category) Tactics use the same Abandoned Browse Participation check settings meaning that contacts can only enter one of these programs.
You can create multiple programs focusing on different products or categories. When you create multiple programs, make sure that the copy, creative and additional assets (e.g. videos, blog entries, how-to articles etc.) are inserted into your campaigns.
The basic program in the Advanced package looks like this.
The most advanced program in the Advanced package is built in the following way.
Activating the Tactic
- Email campaign
- Personalization tokens
- Web channel campaign (if used)
- CRM Ads campaign (if used)
1. Check the best-selling product categories on the Analytics > Product Affinity > Top Products page.
2. Navigate to the Management > Predict Data Sources > Product Data page, enter the product name in the Product search field and copy the item’s category.
3. Open the Category is top selling Decision node and paste the item’s category into the attribute field.
4. Swap the email (and the other campaigns if applicable) in the Tactic with your campaign.
5. Add the personalization tokens.
6. Activate the Tactic.
You can check the performance of your Tactic on the reporting pages of the Strategic Dashboard.
Testing the program
To test your program, proceed as follows:
1. Change the segments used in Decision nodes (Included in segment template) to test segments in your program.
2. Set the Wait node to wait for 5 minutes.
3. Activate the program.
4. Use a contact in the test segment to log in to your web shop and browse one of the top-selling product categories but without adding any products to the cart or completing a purchase. Then end the session.
5. After 5 minutes, you should receive the initial email.
For more information, see Testing an Interactions program.