The Abandoned Browse (Top selling category) Tactic reacts to customers who viewed a product from one of your best-selling product categories (based on the Past Purchases page) but who left your website without adding any products to their cart. This Tactic focuses on that top-selling product category and the campaign can include specific marketing materials related to that category (i.e. how-to choose guides, what is best for you recommendations etc.).
This funnel Tactic encourages customers to continue their journey to purchase by sending an email with the best-selling product category they recently browsed and some additional marketing materials related to that category.
You can include a buying guide in your campaign with instructions that help your clients make a better, more informed decision. Products reviews in this guide can contain a link to a category or a single page, so you can forward most of your contacts to one final choice.
People interested in buying guides are looking for extra pieces of information to feel more confident about their final choice. So, buying guides constitute a promising opportunity to encourage customers to move forward with their purchase.
This Tactic supports the Revenue objective by contributing to the following strategies:
- Convert leads to first-time buyers
- Convert first-time buyers to active customers
- Retain active customers
- Win back inactive customers
- Win back defecting customers
Please note that the Abandoned Browse, Abandoned Browse (Top selling product) and Abandoned Browse (Top selling category) Tactics use the same Abandoned Browse Participation check settings meaning that contacts can only receive messages from one of these programs within the defined time period (i.e. 30 days by default). You can adjust the timeframe by opening the Participation check node and clicking Edit next to the shared Abandoned Browse participation setting. For more information, see Participation check.
You can create multiple branches focusing on different products or categories within one program. Make sure the copy, creative and additional assets (e.g. videos, blog entries, how-to articles etc.) are inserted into your campaigns.
Advanced package - Email-only program
The basic program in the Advanced package looks like this.
1. When a contact views a product page belonging to a specific category, it triggers the program. All events triggered by the contact will wait for 20 minutes to make sure the browsing session has ended. You can adjust the setting of the Wait node (based on our clients’ experience, setting this node to wait 20 minutes is optimal to achieve a higher conversion rate) or you can experiment with different Wait node configurations by using the A/B test node.
Only identified product view events trigger the program, which means that contacts either need to log into your website or they have to click a link in one of your campaigns.
2. The Decision splitter node checks the following events:
- Purchased - to ensure that contacts have not purchased anything during the browsing session.
- Viewed product page - to make sure that only the last event within the session will trigger message sending, so contacts will only receive your campaign once.
- Updated cart - to ensure this is an abandoned browse session and not an abandoned cart one.
3. This is an optional Decision node that checks whether contacts browsed a product from one of your top selling categories at least once.
- By default, the operator is set to
contains. If you have more highlighted categories, then you can add them by changing the operator to
contains any of. In this case, make sure that your campaigns cover all these categories.
- If you delete this node, then your program becomes an Abandoned browse Tactic.
4. The Participation check node ensures that contacts only receive one abandoned browse campaign every 30 days. The Participation check setting used by this node is shared among your Top selling category, Top selling product and Abandoned browse programs, so contacts can only receive one of these campaigns every 30 days (don’t worry if you have only one abandoned browse program, the Participation check setting will still work).
The Participation check node is set to 30 days by default. You can change this configuration by clicking Edit.
5. Only contacts whose opt-in status is
true will receive your campaigns.
6. Contacts will continue their journey as follows:
a. Those who make a purchase within 2 days will proceed to the Yes path and exit your program.
b. Those who don’t make a purchase within 2 days will proceed to the No path and they will receive a reminder if their opt-in status is
Advanced package - Email + CRM Ads + Web Channel program
The most advanced program in the Advanced package is built in the following way.
This version is built on the Advanced package - Email-only program with the following differences:
1. After proceeding to the Yes path of the Participation check node, contacts participate in a Web Channel campaign regardless of their opt-in status:
a. Those who make a purchase within 3 days will proceed to the Yes path, will be removed from the Web Channel campaign audience and then exit the program.
b. Those who don’t make a purchase within 3 days will proceed to the No path, will be removed from the Web Channel campaign audience and then exit the program.
2. Contacts who did not make a purchase after receiving your campaign, will participate in a CRM Ads campaign:
a. Those who make a purchase within 2 days will progress along the Yes path, will be removed from the CRM Ads campaign audience and then exit the program.
b. Those who don’t make a purchase within 2 days will proceed to the No path, will be removed from the CRM Ads campaign audience and then exit the program.
Activating the Tactic
- Email campaign
- Personalization tokens
- Web channel campaign (if used)
- CRM Ads campaign (if used)
1. Check the best-selling product categories on the Analytics > Product Affinity > Past Purchases page.
2. Open the Category is top selling Decision node and paste the item’s category into the attribute value field.
3. Swap the email (and the other campaigns if applicable) in the Tactic with your campaign.
4. Add the personalization tokens.
5. Activate the Tactic.
You can check the performance of your Tactic on the reporting pages of the Strategic Dashboard.
Testing the program
To test your program, proceed as follows:
1. Change the segments used in Decision nodes (Included in segment template) to test segments in your program.
2. Set the Wait node to wait for 5 minutes.
3. Activate the program.
4. Use a contact in the test segment to log in to your web shop and browse one of the top-selling product categories but without adding any products to the cart or completing a purchase. Then end the session.
5. After 5 minutes, you should receive the initial email.
For more information, see Testing an Interactions program.