What are Personalization rules?
Personalization rules are business logics that you can apply on top of your product recommendations. Personalization rules enable you to tailor the recommended product set to your business needs. You can create a personalization rule by using a product recommendation logic. It can be for example, the logic of popular products. Here you can add business-specific filter criteria, such as price range or include or exclude certain brands or categories. To check the existing rules, navigate to Content > Personalization Rules.
Personalization rules work only for contacts who have received a campaign (any email communication) in the last 180 days. All other contacts are excluded, they are left out from the personalization rules' target audience.
The prerequisites for Personalization rules are the following:
Does my email template include any product blocks?
- If your email template was created by Emarsys, then you do not have to update it.
- If you use your own template, ensure it includes any product blocks. For updating it, follow the instructions described in Updating your own template for Personalization rules or Product catalog updates campaigns.
Personalization rules overview
All the existing Personalization rules that have been created earlier in your account are listed on the Personalization rules page.
Defining a Personalization rule
Recommendations are calculated every 4 hours, so after setting up the first rule it might take a maximum of 4 hours until the recommendations are generated. Until then, the contact preview is not available and the campaign cannot be launched.
Note, that Personalization rules do not check the recommended product’s availability. To ensure the recommendation only contains available products, add the following Product Filter to your Personalisation rule: Product field - available is true.
Also, take into consideration that the recommendation can contain unavailable products even after adding this Product Filter to your Personalization rule as the recommendations are calculated every 4 hours. So, it might happen that a product’s availability changes before the next calculation and as a result, the recommendation will contain unavailable products.
Create a new Personalization rule:
1. Click the Create Personalization Rule button on the main Personalization Rules page.
2. Select a base product recommendation logic from the Base product set pop-up dialog. The recommendation results will be calculated based on the logic selected here.
Base product set
It is a pre-defined product recommendation logic to filter your products. You can select predict recommendation types listed here.
- Global Popularity: It is a general list of the most popular products including the most-viewed and most-purchased items in the past 90 days from the customers’ Product catalog.
Pilot release: Visual similarity: It is an individual filtering, available for piloting clients only.
Visual similarity is part of the MAX AI/accelerator package.
Visual similarity: This feature is currently on Pilot release for a limited number of clients only. If you are interested in participating in the Pilot phase, please speak to your Client Success Manager.
3. Name the Personalization rule.
4. At the Product filters section set your rules to apply to any of the following:
- All conditions are true
- Any condition is true
5. Click Add Condition to define a filter condition.
Specify a condition filter to narrow down the result set, keeping only those products that are matching the filter criteria. Use AND/OR operators for setting multiple filter criteria.
You can set the following condition types:
Product category: Define a condition based on the product category. You can include or exclude multiple categories from the result set. You can select category items, you want to filter on.
Example: To recommend popular women tops you can add a category condition with the full path, which includes
Women>Tops category products only. Include multiple categories separated by semicolons.
In the drop-down list you can select
- any of the following categories, or
- none of the following categories to exclude certain categories.
Product field: Define a condition based on the product catalog field value. You can access all your standard or custom Product catalog fields.
Example: To show products that are more expensive than 50 EUR create a product field criteria with the following settings:
price - larger than - 50
You cannot access the Localized Product catalog fields.
6. When you are done with editing the Personalization rule click Apply.
7. Check the box to exclude products already purchased the defined days ago.
Using Personalization rules in email campaigns
To use Personalization rules in a block-based email template, you need to have repeatable product blocks available with the necessary editable fields: Link, Image, Title, CTA to display a product and it is also repeatable.
- If your email template was created by Emarsys, then you do not have to update it.
- If you use your own template, ensure it includes any repeatable blocks. For updating it, follow the instructions described in Creating a Repeatable Block.
- If your existing email template does not include any repeatable blocks, follow the steps of Creating a Repeatable Block.
Repeatable product blocks enable you to add multiple products dynamically to your email campaign from different product sources, such as Interactions events or more advanced recommendation sources.
To edit a repeatable product block in your existing email campaign, proceed as follows:
1. Navigate to Channels > Email Campaigns, select your campaign, then click Edit.
To update your own template, navigate to the Content>Block-Based Templates page and open the template you would like to use by clicking the Edit icon.
2. Go to the Content Creation step in the bottom menu and
- select an existing repeatable product block, or
- drag and drop one to the campaign.
4. In the Product Source Settings pop-up window tick the Personalization rule radio button and select the rule you want to use from the drop-down list, then click OK.
5. At the Display Settings section set the minimum and maximum number of products that should appear in the email.
Technically, the maximum number of products to display is 100, but it is not recommended to set more than 10 products.
6. Click Save to save your email.
Adding personalization fields to the product block
After specifying the Personalization rule as a data source of your repeatable product block, you can start adding the personalization fields to your block.
1. Position the cursor where you want to add the Personalization token, click the Personalization icon in the toolbar.
2. You can select any of the following product catalogue fields:
a. Personalizing Title or Price fields: Highlight the Title or Price placeholder and click Personalization icon. Select the Title or Price token under Product Catalog.
b. Personalizing image: Click the Image placeholder and select the Image Properties icon.
Select the Image token under Product Catalog.
Dont worry about the The image URL cannot be found. warning message, the image will be properly displayed in your campaign.
c. Personalizing image link URL: Click the Personalization icon next to the Url field and select the Image Link token under Product Catalog.
3. At this point your Repeatable block is blank but do not worry, it will contain all the right product images, titles, links and prices when your campaign will be sent.
Previewing the email campaign
As Contact preview supports Personalization rules, you can check your recommendation results on contact level with Contact Preview.
In each case, the contact preview shows the top products, which means the most popular products including the most-viewed and most-purchased items, which are the Global popularity fallback, that matches your filtering.
Repeatable Product blocks by default require at least one recommendation item.
If the Personalization rule cannot provide at least one recommendation item for the selected contact, the preview will not appear. In this case, the specific contact would not receive the message, when launching the email campaign.
You can use Repeatable Product Blocks with multiple rows or columns. The Repeatable Block allows you to display multiple products in a single Repeatable Block by using a multiple row or column layout, containing one product in the first column and two products in the second column. For more information, see Creating a Repeatable Block with a multiple-product per block layout.
Make all the required changes to your campaign, then click Save.
Once your campaign is ready, replace the original email campaign with your updated campaign.