This article provides you with information for setting up Inline In-app campaigns.
Inline In-app allows a brand to deliver in-app messages to users with minimal disruption to their app experience, by only using a small section of the app screen (often a banner at the top of the screen). Whereas most In-app messages take up the full screen or sit as an overlay and require the user to interact in some way to remove them from the screen, Inline In-app messages allow a user to continue with their app experience whilst still being shown the Inline In-app.
This gives a brand a number of different potential use cases where Inline In-app would be beneficial.
As Push Notifications and standard In-app messages disappear when interacted with delivering offer codes can prove problematic as you rely on the user remembering or noting down the code. However with Inline In-app, messages can be strategically placed at the top of specific screens (such as the Product or Cart Screen) to remind the user of the offer code and ensure customers do not miss out.
These Inline messages can also be used to alert users with more transactional or information based messages, such as information about new features/content/products released in the app which you don’t necessarily want to interrupt your users journey for.
- Increase engagement
- Increase revenue
- Emarsys SDK
- In-app messaging
- Deep Link
High Level Use Case Flow
Create a Mobile Engage Segment to target your desired customers. In this example we will be highlighting a generic offer so as a start point a segment with users with ‘Contacts who have linked devices for application’ would be the base.
If your offer is more specific, for example menswear, then creating a combined segment and adding Smart Insight data (if enabled) such as affinity to menswear/past purchases would be beneficial.
For info on creating Mobile Engage Segments click here.
Create the Inline In-app message
- Link to the correct app
- Link to Audience as the recipient source
- Select an In-app template
- Alter the text accordingly
- Add any actions to the In-app buttons
- Fill out the scheduling page
Create a Mobile Engage segment which contains the condition Contacts who have linked devices for application (as a minimum).
In-app Campaign creation
- From the Mobile Engage In-app Messages tab click Create Inline Message to begin creating the In-app.
- Fill in the general settings, giving the In-app a name, linking it to the app, selecting Recipient Source as Audience to target your segment (your Segment will be dynamically updated in this example once per day so as new users who match the criteria or don’t are moved in and out).
- On the Content Creation page select an Inline In-app template to use as the basis of your message at present you have two options either Title and text or Title, text and button.
Select Title and Text template if you simply want to provide information to the user. If you want to offer the user the ability to click through to other areas of the app for example, select Title, text and button option.
- In the Preview pane alter your selected template accordingly to add in the required text and button text.
Type your text directly into the message and alter fonts, font size and colour directly in the preview.
Use the Styles tab to alter elements such as the background colour, button colour and template height.
- To decide on what action should occur when the user clicks on the button go to the Button Editor as shown below.
You can then select the action that should occur from the following options:
- Deep Link
- Custom Event
- Open External Event
- Request Push Permission
In this example we may want to direct users to the Menswear/Offers screen if clicked to allow the user to see the specific products on offer.
Deep Links are not created in the Emarsys platform or by Emarsys. They are typically created externally (e.g. through 3rd parties such as Appsflyer or Branch) so the Deep Link needs to be created and your developers decide how to handle the link so it directs to the correct area of the users phone. Further information on deep links is shown below. For further info on Deep Links please click here.
- The final step is to fill in the details on the Scheduling page shown below.
Unlike Full Screen or Modal In-app templates an Inline In-app is not triggered by a user opening the app or a custom event.
Instead, the app needs to be instructed where to place the Inline message and the View-Id field filled in on the Scheduling page accordingly.
The View-Id and area of the app where the Inline message should be displayed is something that needs to be configured by your development team. The necessary information can be found in the iOS and Android SDK integration docs.
Multiple Inline In-app messages can be displayed on the same screen and ‘stacked’ on top of each other if required.
Decide on how to act when the user interacts with the message and on how long this campaign should run and if happy with the set-up click Save and Launch.