This article gives you an introduction to the VCE multi-language email campaign creation feature.
What is a multi-language email campaign?
With the multi-language feature in the Visual Content Editor (VCE) you can create email campaigns in various languages and send them to your recipients all over the world. This feature enables you to manage all the language versions of your emails in one campaign, resulting in simplified automated programs. Multi-language email feature is available in the VCE only.
Why is it good for you?
The multi-language feature helps you enhance your marketing campaign performance. From now on you can reach all your contacts in their own languages.
You can add languages to the email campaigns and templates, so your contacts will receive their appropriate language version based on their language preference.
Multi-language email campaigns enable you to communicate with your contacts in their preferred contact language so they can read and understand any part of the email message. You can define the language versions according to the IETF language standard to localize your email campaigns.
Before you start creating multi-language email campaigns
Define your language preferences
You need to determine the language versions of your contacts under the menu: Contacts > Add Contact. The multi-language feature uses an IETF language standard to localize the email campaigns.
You can add your language preference, as follows:
- Edit your new or your existing contact list. For details, see Managing contact lists.
- Click Edit.
- Select the Other tab.
- In the IETF language tag field add your languages with language codes in either of the following ways:
- Add a two-letter language code only. E.g.: “en” for English, “de” for German, etc.
- Add a two-letter language code followed by a two-letter country or region code. E.g.: “en-US” for English (United States), “en-GB” for English (Great Britain)
IETF language codes are always case-sensitive. Languages must be written lowercase, while the territory codes need to be uppercase, e.g.: "en" OR "en-US" are both ok.
Migrate your language data
Sync your language data. For information, see Setting up an auto-import.
Should you have any data migration-related questions, feel free to contact Emarsys support for further help.
How does it work?
To add new languages to your existing email campaign or create a new one with the multi-language feature, open the Visual Content Editor (VCE) and go to the Content Creation page.
Languages tab: Creating language versions
Note that, this is one campaign now, however each language version can have its own design, layout and content. For previewing and testing the different language versions you can select any one of the contacts in your database and see exactly how your email will look. For more information, see Contact preview.
Changing the master language
The master language represents the fallback language of your campaign. For example, a contact in your database has "
fr" as her main language and you send your email campaign in "
en-US", and "
es", then none of these languages match your contact's language preference. In this case the tool automatically reverts to the master language.
1. On the Languages tab click Change Master Language
2. Select the new master language from the drop-down list.
3. Click OK then save your campaign.
A/B testing a multi-language email campaign
You can create two or more different versions of your VCE email campaign and add the multi-language feature to them. Sending out various language versions of your emails in one campaign is an efficient way to enhance your marketing campaign performance.
To optimize your marketing efforts you can perform an A/B test on your multi-language email campaign.
Language-based product personalizations
Rule-based recommendation campaigns using localized fields feature is currently on Pilot release for a limited number of clients only. If you are interested in participating in the Pilot phase, please speak to your Client Success Manager.
Localized product catalogues are supported, so multi-language tokens will display products matching the language preference. Multi-language emails can have repeatable product blocks for product personalization including all product catalog fields using multi-language tokens. If you insert a repeatable block in a multi-language campaign you can select multi-language tokens, that will automatically indent the appropriate language field.
This feature enables you to set up conditions for different languages. Learn more, Personalization rules.
If you use your own email campaign template, ensure it includes any repeatable product blocks. For updating it, follow the instructions described in Updating your own template for Personalization rules or Product catalog updates campaigns.
Requirements for using multi-language tokens in language-based product personalizations:
Note the following limitations and known issues:
Unsubscribe and online version links
- On the Email Basics tab the built-in unsubscribe and online version links do not adapt to various languages, they will use the selected language only.
For a workaround to solve this, use the
#UNSUBSCRIBE_HREF#placeholders in the campaign.
- Custom add-ons (e.g.: Product Search) might not work with multi-language email campaigns .
Content-based reporting tool is currently on Pilot release for a limited number of clients only. If you are interested in participating in the Pilot phase, please speak to your Client Success Manager.
- Language-specific performance of the email campaign can be exported to Open Data with the content-based reporting tool.
- You can track how content in different languages performs after personalisation.
- Also, please bear in mind that Visual link tracking shows an aggregate report on built-in unsubscribe link and online version link clicks irrespectively of the languages. All other links are displayed based on the master language’s clicks only.