This funnel Tactic identifies known visitors who have added products to a cart but ended the session without purchasing. It encourages customers to complete their transaction by sending an initial email with the cart contents, followed by a reminder email if still no purchase happens. This Tactic follows up on a short notice after contacts abandoned their carts.
The previous version of the Abandoned Cart Tactic is still available in all accounts; however, this Tactic generates conversion faster and more effectively.
It supports the Revenue objective by contributing to the following strategies:
- Drive First Purchase
- Reduce Customer Churn
- Drive Purchase Frequency
- Drive Web Traffic
- Increase Active Customer Revenue
- Drive Second Purchase
- Increase Units Per Transaction
- Web Channel
- Digital Ads
1. When contacts update their carts (i.e. they trigger the Updated cart event), the program will be triggered.
Contacts will trigger Interactions programs starting with the Web Extend event trigger in the following cases:
- If the contact is logged in and their customer ID or email address is sent properly by the
- If the contact is not logged in but clicks a link in the respective email and the SC parameters (
sc_customer=xxxx) in the store are kept in the URLs on all pages of the web store when the user navigates to your store. Please make sure that your implementation includes these settings because the URL usually does not contain these parameters. For more information, please contact your Implementation Consultant.
2. The first three Decision nodes check the following:
- No further cart updates and purchase events have happened since the trigger event.
- No purchase event happened in the last 24 hours.
- The cart contained at least 1 item when the Updated cart event was triggered.
3. A notification is sent including the products left in the contact's cart.
4. Three days later a reminder is sent if still no purchase has happened.
The email-only variant of the program looks like the following:
The most advanced, email + Web Channel + Digital Ads variant of the program looks like the following:
Activating the Tactic
- Web Extend
- Email campaigns
- Digital Ads campaign (if used)
- Web Channel campaign (if used)
- Personalization tokens
- Interactions advanced functionalities
Use a Repeatable Block to be able to display the abandoned items. To personalize your content with product attributes, follow the instructions in Adding the Repeatable Block to campaigns using Product sets and select the Abandoned cart Product set.
- The Updated cart event is the pre-selected Web Extend event in the entry node of the program.
- Create the email campaigns.
- Add the personalization tokens.
- Create the Digital Ads audience (if used).
- Create the Web channel campaigns (if used).
- Activate the Tactic.
Currently, Emarsys Support will update your templates with the required product block for this Tactic (same as for the Product Catalog Update Tactics). If you would like to understand the template update process better or update the template yourself, check Adding the Repeatable Block to campaigns using Product sets.
Tips & hints
As the first step of creating content for this Abandoned Cart Tactic, you can get some inspiration and creative ideas at Emarsys Inspirations under the Abandoned Cart tab.