This funnel Tactic identifies known visitors who have added products to a cart but ended the session without purchasing. It encourages customers to complete their transaction by sending an initial email with the cart contents, followed by a reminder email if still no purchase happens. This Tactic follows up on a short notice after contacts abandoned their carts.
The previous version of the Abandoned Cart Tactic is still available in all accounts; however, this Tactic generates conversion faster and more effectively.
It supports the Revenue objective by contributing to the following strategies:
- Drive First Purchase
- Reduce Customer Churn
- Drive Purchase Frequency
- Drive Web Traffic
- Increase Active Customer Revenue
- Drive Second Purchase
- Increase Units Per Transaction
- Web channel
- CRM ads
1. Updated cart.
2. No further cart updates and purchase happen.
Please note that removing items from the cart also counts as a cart update action and such events can also trigger the program. It may happen that a visitor empties their cart on your website before they leave. In such cases, they will not receive your campaign because the Repeatable Block will not allow the message to be sent. However, it can still affect your reporting (increased number of cancelled messages on the Email Analysis screen). If you would like to avoid this situation, we recommend inserting a Decision node that checks whether the cart contains at least 1 item right after the No further cart updates/purchase happened node.
3. Notification is sent including the products left in the contact's cart.
4. Three days later a reminder is sent if still no purchase has happened.
The basic, email-only variant of the program looks like the following:
The most advanced, email + Web channel + CRM Ads variant of the program looks like the following:
Activating the Tactic
- Web Extend
- Email campaigns
- CRM Ads campaign (if used)
- Web channel campaign (if used)
- Personalization tokens
- Interactions advanced functionalities
- The Updated cart event is the pre-selected Web Extend event in the entry node of the program.
- Create the email campaigns.
- Add the personalization tokens.
- Create the CRM Ads audience (if used).
- Create the Web channel campaigns (if used).
- Activate the Tactic.
Currently, Emarsys Support will update your templates with the required product block for this Tactic (same as for the Product Catalog Update Tactics). If you would like to understand the template update process better or update the template yourself, check Updating your template for Product catalog update Tactics.
Tips & hints
As the first step of creating content for this Abandoned Cart Tactic, you can get some inspiration and creative ideas at Emarsys Inspirations under the Abandoned Cart tab.