Before you start with Loyalty you must set up your account. This involves creating your initial tiers and managing the distribution of your existing contact database.
Emarsys Loyalty requires a working Smart Insight integration, and an additional three mandatory fields in your sales data file.
You will also need to confirm that your sales data is loaded daily and that your returns and cancellations are processed accurately (so that any points earned from then can be removed).
Choosing your plan
Your first decision is to choose which Loyalty plan best suits your requirements.
Currently we are only offering a Points plan.
Once you select your plan you cannot change it after you have begun to configure it. To move to a new plan you will have to ask Emarsys Support to delete your existing plan and then you can start again.
- Plan name - The name that your customers will see.
- Points name - Your 'currency' - a branded name for the loyalty points that your customers earn and spend.
- Rewards allocation delay - Select how long after a purchase the rewards will be added to the customer's wallet. This is to allow for returns and cancellations, for example. Options range from 24 hours to 40 days.
- Balance points expiration - Select when the points to spend will be removed from the customer's balance (see here for an explanation of how this is calculated).
- Yearly calculation for tiers - Select when the total accrued status points are counted and reset for tier status. This will primarily influence your dropout scenario, i.e. how and when customers will be demoted to a lower tier after a period of inactivity.
- Ensure that customers keep their status for at least 365 days after promotion to a higher tier - This ensures that customers have enough time to earn the required points to stay in that tier.
Here you decide how to incorporate your existing contact database into your new loyalty plan, and how new contacts will be able to join it.
- Contact sign-up process - Select whether contacts automatically become loyalty members, or are invited to sign up for it.
Contact distribution - Select how your contacts will be distributed among the tiers when they join your loyalty plan. The options are:
Add existing and new contacts to the bottom tier, with no points awarded
This is the ideal option to start a new loyalty plan from scratch with equal benefits for all contacts.
Add existing contacts to a tier according their historical spend, and new ones to the bottom tier. No points are awarded to either
This is the ideal option to reward contacts who were already loyal before the start of the plan.
Add existing and new contacts to a tier according their historical spend so far this calendar year, and award additional points to spend.
This is only available if you have selected the option to invite new contacts to sign up for your loyalty plan. It is the most stimulating and rewarding option to encourage contacts to become members.
- Add existing and new contacts to the bottom tier, with no points awarded
Here you define your tiers and the criteria required for membership.
The first tier is the entry-level tier, and is open to all loyalty customers without entry requirements.
- Number of tiers - Define the number of tiers (max. 10).
- Calculation period - Select how much historical data you want to use to calculate the contact distribution. This is more relevant for your existing contact base, but will also apply to new customers who make purchases before joining your loyalty plan.
Tiers - For each tier, define the following:
- Required spend - Minimum total spend in the selected period for a customer to be put in this tier.
- Number of purchases - Minimum number of purchases in the selected period for a customer to be out in this tier.
The Required spend and Number of purchases criteria are linked by AND, that is, contacts must satisfy both criteria to join the tier.
This is a straightforward preview of how your existing contact database will be distributed among your tiers according to your current settings.
Hover your cursor over a bar to see the exact numbers for that tier.
Activating your Loyalty account
You are now ready to activate your account and configure the rest of your settings such as customer actions, benefits and rewards.