Before you launch your Loyalty plan, it is worth familiarizing yourself with the components you will be working with, to aid you in your decision-making. Here is a description of these components and some frequently asked questions.
Actions are the customer-side interactions with your Loyalty plan. Your Loyalty plan is based around offering incentives to customers to take these actions, and rewarding them for doing so.
There are 5 types of action:
- Join - When a customer first joins your plan.
- Purchase - When any purchase is completed. You can delay the reward for purchases to take into account returns and cancellations.
- Engagement - With the API, this can be any engagement on your website as defined by you. Without the API this is dependent on a value change in a contact data field.
- Bonus - No explicit action is required by the customer - you define the circumstances under which they qualify for these rewards, for example if it is their birthday.
- Redemption - When a customer spends their balance points.
A customer can only have one open Purchase action at a time. This is to help you focus on converting purchases and not to confuse the customer with constantly-changing offers. Only when the purchase is completed or expires can the customer qualify for another Purchase action.
Your Loyalty account comes with a number of preset actions for you to use straight away. Click an action type to display the available actions below.
In addition to this you can create an unlimited number of your own actions.
- Default actions
Each master action has a default action defined for it, which has no rewards associated and which is a simple message relevant to the objective of the master action.
The default message is displayed when no reward is defined or in case of network or system errors.
For Purchase actions, the default message is also shown if the customer has already qualified for such an action.
Default actions are flagged by a black tag and cannot be deleted.
- Tactics actions
There are also some actions associated with Tactics and these are flagged with a blue tag. They also cannot be deleted.
You can create an action from scratch (1) or copy an existing action (2) and modify it.
When you open the General settings page, you have the following information and controls.
- Select use case - Here you select from a number of preset use cases for the action. According to the use case you want, further fields may be displayed.
- Action name - A name that your customers will see.
- Description - An internal description for this action.
- Action icon - We off a set of (optional) icons for the Action .
- Trigger connection -
On the right-hand side of the page, additional fields may be displayed.
When you select a promotion use case, you must also make the following settings:
- Promotion objective - Select whether your promotion will be personally addressed to individual customers, or will be a generic tier promotion.
- Select from catalog - If you have more than one product catalog, you can select the catalog here.
- Can I use my own icons for the actions?
Currently no. You can either use our default icons or no icons at all.
Most of the redemption actions will involve vouchers, so prepare enough voucher pools to cover your needs and upload them to your Loyalty account.
Please note that you cannot use any existing Emarsys voucher pools for your Loyalty plan.
Furthermore, we strongly recommend that you do not use any vouchers outside of your Loyalty plan, to focus the strategic investment of your discounts.
- Event reward - This is any kind of benefit that is triggered by an event in the customer's lifecycle, e.g. their birthday.
- Exclusive access – Offer your loyalty members access to areas of your website that other customers cannot see. This can be a one-time benefit or a voucher valid for one year.
- One-time voucher - This is the standard benefit type, for example a discount voucher or free shipping on one order.
- Yearly voucher – These vouchers are valid for a calendar year (or 12 months, depending on your tier points expiration settings. You will need to define multi-use vouchers for this kind of benefit.
- Custom benefit – This option allows you to enter a free description of the benefit, and you are then responsible for delivering this reward (e.g. branded gift items).
You can create an unlimited number of fixed benefits.