The Emarsys Loyalty add-on allows you to manage multiple loyalty plans simultaneously in the same account (multiplan). Each plan is managed separately with its own Wallet, tiers, fixed benefits, actions, rewards and reporting.
Examples of running two plans in parallel can be B2C/B2B, Amateurs/Professionals, etc.
If you manage multiple markets and you need the highest degree of flexibility, you can use this feature to manage a different plan for each country or region.
While the Loyalty Add-on provides you a solution to support different markets, you can still use multiple languages and currencies to support each plan individually.
In the following, you can read about the basics of plan creation, navigating between plans in different menus and the differences between multiplan and multi market setups.
One contact can only join one Loyalty plan.
Creating a plan
In the first step of onboarding, plan creation, you are required to define a plan name and a plan identifier of your first plan (default plan). You also need to select the plan type.
Once you activate your Loyalty account, you can add more plans via Loyalty Management > Account Settings. To enable the option of adding more plans to your account, please contact Emarsys Support.
Plan name - This is the official name of your plan as it will be shown to the customers. A branded name will help you to market your plan. Customers will also see the name of your plan in the Loyalty Wallet before joining.
Plan identifier - This permanent ID identifies the plan internally. The ID cannot be changed after the plan is launched. This will be used during Installing the Loyalty Wallet.
Plan type - Currently, we support the following plan types:
- Points and Redemption - Your members will accumulate status and balance points. Then, the balance points can be redeemed for vouchers and exclusive access.
- Points and Benefits - With this plan type, your members will accumulate balance points behind the scene (in case you want in the future to switch to a redemption plan) but will not be able to redeem those points.
- Spend and Benefits - Your members will be able to collect benefits and rewards only based on their spending level without using points as an intermediary. Members will be presented with their spent sum instead, to signify their level in the loyalty program.
You can assign users to different plans either by using the API or through the Loyalty Wallet. Additionally, you have to consider some preparatory steps when creating a multiplan Loyalty setup depending on your scenario:
Follow the instructions relevant to your situation.
Installing the Loyalty Wallet
You need to integrate the Loyalty Wallet into your websites for each plan separately. For more information, see Installing the Loyalty Wallet. Each Wallet has a different
planId parameter, according to the definition in the Plan Settings. This parameter differentiates your Loyalty plans.
You need to make sure to send the correct
planId for each Loyalty user. An everyday scenario would be one website with separate B2B and B2C plans; your website needs to be able to differentiate between your users and show them the correct Wallet according to the loyalty plan they should join.
This ensures that users connect to the correct plan.
Using Loyalty API
In case you are using the API to add users to your loyalty plan, instead of the Loyalty Wallet, then you have to add the parameter
planId to the Add a contact API call. This is necessary to add the user to the correct plan.
It is imperative to ensure that your server is able to distinguish between the users and can decide who belongs to which plan.
No live Loyalty plans
In the Emarsys platform, you need to create segments including the users of each plan. For example, you should have a separate segment for B2B and B2C customers.
This is especially important when you want to send out Loyalty campaigns with Join or Purchase Action tokens, to ensure that you use the correct action for the correct group and attribute the correct rewards.
If you create a Join action for B2B customers and send it out to contacts in your B2C segment, those contacts will be attached to the wrong plan. Therefore, it is crucial to have the correct segment ready and to make sure to send them the correct action tokens.
You need to use relational segmentation to effectively group your Loyalty member contacts. For more information, see Creating Loyalty segments.
When you switch to a Multiplan setup, the Loyalty Team will update your templates and add the
planId parameter to each of them. Using this parameter, you can build a segment targeting contacts from a specific plan.
If you already have segments built from those templates, you will need to update them and add a value for the new
In case the template is used in multiple segments, contact your Implementation Consultant. There is an option for the Loyalty Team to copy the old template and create a new one for you, to avoid updating all segments.
One live Loyalty plan
If you already have an active plan, create a list of all the relevant members you would like to migrate from the existing plan to the new one.
Include the following type of contacts in your list:
- Contacts currently enrolled in Loyalty under your original Plan A (the existing plan) and need to be migrated to the new Plan B (new plan).
In addition, select which existing rewards are migrated with these members. If no selection is made, the members will start the new plan in the bottom tier with no previous points and vouchers.
Migration includes the following:
- Status points - The members will be distributed to a tier according to the status points and the tier requirements in the new plan.
- Balance points - The validity of the points will be reset according to the settings of the new plan.
- Pending points - The pending points are immediately approved and added directly to the status and balance points (points to spend).
Redeemed vouchers - All vouchers whose code has been exposed by a member and are in the status of "use" are migrated.
Please note that fixed benefit multi-use vouchers are not migrated even if redeemed.
Exclusive Access benefits are not migrated.
- Contacts not yet joined to Loyalty, but have visited the website and are connected to plan A. The Loyalty Team needs to delete this connection and connect them to plan B.
Your list should contain the contact identifier used on your website for the Loyalty Wallet and the Loyalty Team will upload the list into the system and migrate those users.
Manual plan migration
The Emarsys Loyalty add-on allows you to migrate members between plans manually via the Member Profiles menu.
When migrating a Loyalty member between plans, after selecting the new plan, you can select which existing rewards are migrated as well:
- Status points - Members will be distributed to a tier according to their status points and the tier requirements in the new plan.
- Balance points - The validity of the points will be reset and restarted according to the setting of the new plan.
- Pending points - Pending points are immediately approved and added directly to status and balance points (points to spend).
- Redeemed vouchers - All vouchers whose code has been exposed by the member and are in the status "use" are migrated.
Note that fixed benefit multi-use vouchers are not migrated even if redeemed.
If none of the migration options are checked, the member will start the new plan in the bottom tier with no previous points or vouchers.
Multiplan vs. Multi Market
The Emarsys Loyalty add-on provides the following options to manage a loyalty plan with multiple languages, currencies, countries or regions:
- Multiplan - each country or region is a separate plan
- Multi market setup
In this option, you have one loyalty plan managed with different languages and countries or regions. You have to define each action and voucher once only, and you just have to add the relevant translation to them. Fixed benefits, vouchers and Exclusive Accesses can be also separated by country or region.
Implementation of Multi Market
This section refers to a scenario where you have one website with one login and users can switch between markets without needing to sign in again.
- Users will always see the Wallet according to the market they select, regardless of what market they signed up for at the time of registration. Therefore, if you have two countries or regions, for example, Germany and the US, if the users are in the US, they will see vouchers in USD values that they can redeem for points. However, when they change to Germany, they will see EUR vouchers.
Keep in mind, the moment users redeem a voucher, the voucher is connected to their Wallet and even when they switch between markets, they will still see that voucher.
Pros: Not reliant on country or region of residence, especially useful for users who ship to different countries or regions.
Cons: Users can unlock rewards in different countries or regions which will not work in their country or region of residence.
- When users sign up on your website, you can ask them what their home country or region is and accordingly, they will see their Wallet for this country or region only. For example, if their home market is in Germany, then even if the user switches over to the US site, they will still see the Wallet for the German market.
It is also possible not to show the Wallet at all if the users are not in their home market. Contact the Loyalty Team to implement this.
Pros: Users will always see the offers relevant to them, based on their home country or region regardless of which market they are looking at right now.
Cons: Users who ship to multiple countries or regions will find this annoying as they will not be able to use Loyalty benefits from different countries or regions.
For both options, users will accumulate points wherever they make purchases - in each country or region.
Set up different tiers per website or country/region
Different fixed benefit per website or country/region
||Users need to create separate action for each plan.||User needs to configure actions only once and then add translations.|
|Reporting||Reports are available for each plan.||Reports are not available for individual countries or regions. Will be available in near future.|
Same user in multiple countries/regions
||Members can be connected to only one plan at a time.||No system restriction, depends solely on the customer’s website.|
Tokens in email campaign
||Each action in each plan will have its own separate tokens.||One action will have multiple tokens; one set per language.|
Additional client-side implementation effort
||Easy - add additional parameter (
Easy - add additional parameter (
Additional Back office implementation effort
||Additional step to be taken: Send the Loyalty Team a CSV file with all contacts and differentiate them based on their plan.||
Decide which logic to use: