In the Reply Management module, you can define how your system will organize and react to reply mails from your recipients. All incoming reply mails are categorized and processed/forwarded as defined by you.
This way, important reply mails will not get lost among the bulk of out of office emails.
Before you start: Reply mails and data protection (GDPR)
Reply mails from your customers contain personal data and therefore fall under data protection legislation such as GDPR. This is how reply mails are handled in this regard:
- Retrieval - The only way to retrieve all reply mails from a particular contact is via an Emarsys Support request. (You can open and manually copy the contents of an individual mail, but unless you know the email campaign that triggered the reply, or the date, finding it can be difficult.)
- Deletion - Deleting a reply mail is not possible in the Platform interface. The only way to do this is via an Emarsys Support request.
Automated deletion after 30 days
You can ask Emarsys Support to activate our purge feature which will immediately delete all reply mails older than 30 days, and automatically delete them after this time period in the future. The situation will therefore be as follows:
- Retrieval - Reply mails are automatically purged after 30 days, so locating and copying individual reply mails from a contact should not be too hard. However, if your volume is high enough that you are afraid of missing something, you can submit an Emarsys Support request for an export of all mails from a particular contact.
- Deletion - Since no reply mails are stored for longer than 30 days, and GDPR allows a 30-day window for deletion, all such requests are self-fulfilling and you need take no action.
If you require a full export of all your existing reply mails before they are purged, please contact Emarsys Support before August 14th, 2018.
If you want to store reply mails for a longer period, you must use the Forward with action buttons feature to direct all relevant reply mails to your own designated email account.
Setting up a reply domain
To set up a dedicated domain for reply management, proceed as follows:
Register a domain or create a subdomain.
Attention: Domains/subdomains which were already set up for the display of trackable links in the Emarsys application and changed to Emarsys per C-Name entry, cannot be used.
Have your provider or network administrator show you the MX record of the domain or subdomain for Emarsys. The name server entry for the MX record must be changed.
- If you make the entry in an administration menu interface, enter mx.eemms.net. as a target in the MX entry of the favoured domain or subdomain. All other settings can remain unchanged.
- If you make the entry via an admin console, enter the following in the zonefile of the domain/subdomain:
IN MX 10 mx.eemms.net
- Please provide Emarsys Support with the domain/subdomain name used, so that we can activate the domain/subdomain for your account.
The Reply Management page - Inbox
The Inbox tab displays a list of reply emails which were sent to Emarsys.
Filter reply list
The list can be filtered using the following criteria:
- Go to Email and select a specific email to view the corresponding reply emails.
- Go to Category and select a reply email category.
- Go to Mailboxes and specify a mailbox.
- Go to Time range and select a start and end date; the list displays only reply emails which were received within this period.
The Email recipient column of the list contains the email addresses of your recipients; as a rule, the From column displays the same email address. If these email addresses are not identical, the sender of the reply mail has used a different email account (a different email address, an alias) for his/her message. In addition, the list has columns for the subject line of your email, the reply email category and the date when the reply email was sent.
To view detailed information on a specific reply email, tick the corresponding check box and click Show message.
To access the contact profile associated with an email address in the list, tick the corresponding check box and click Edit contact profile.
The Reply Management page - Actions
On the Actions tab, you create reply mailboxes and decide how reply mails are to be handled.
Create reply mailbox
- Click Create New to open the corresponding dialog box.
Replace the undefined string with a string of your choice. This constitutes the address component prefixing the @ sign; for the domain name suffixing the @ sign you can use either eemms.net (the Emarsys email domain) or an existing customized domain/subdomain.
Attention: The domain/subdomain you specify is reserved for Emarsys emails. You cannot use email domains for which you have already set up inboxes with other mail servers.
- Click Create Address to add the address to the list.
- To remove an address, tick the corresponding check box and click Delete Address.
Define how to handle reply mails
- Select a Reply mailbox.
- Click Edit.
For each category you can select one of the following actions:
- Forward – Reply emails with this category assigned are forwarded to one or several email addresses, which you can enter in the Forward to column. Multiple email addresses must be separated by ‘;’.
- Forward with action buttons – Reply emails with this category assigned are forwarded to the email addresses which you enter on the right. See below for use cases.
- Ignore – Reply emails with this category assigned can be ignored; e.g. Out-of-Office emails.
If you want the system to automatically delete the reply mails after the defined action has been performed, activate the Delete option.