There are various ways to delete contacts and contact lists in Emarsys. When you delete a contact their entry in the database will be deleted but they will still be counted in the reporting for the campaigns they responded to. This is why, when you drill down in these reports to view the contacts, you may find that the number of contacts displayed is different to the total shown in the report.
Deleting individual contacts
Please note that we are not only removing contact data, but we are collecting and removing all historical behavioural data that might be linked with that individual. This means that the reporting screens which use contact-level data may show slightly different results. Screens which use aggregated data will not be affected.
To delete a single contact:
- Use the API endpoint Delete a Contact.
- Search for them using the Search function and click the skull icon to delete them from your database.
- Open a segment or list to display the contacts and click the skull icon to delete them from your database.
Deleting entire lists of contacts
To delete a batch of contacts:
- Create a contact list and go to Contacts > Delete Contacts.
- Click the skull icon to delete the list and all the contacts in it.
- This is a useful way to clean up your database (for example by deleting all contacts who you know to be invalid).
- Deleting a large list may take a few minutes.
- In order to delete contacts, you need administrator rights.
Deleting a contact in a contact list
Alternatively, you can use the Remove Contacts from the Contact List endpoint as well.
Deleting a contact list but not the contacts in it
If you only want to remove a contact list from your account without touching any of the contacts in it:
- Use the API endpoint Delete a Contact List.
- Go to Contacts > Contact Lists and click the trash icon to remove the contact list.