What is Google Customer Match?
Google Customer Match enables Emarsys to match your contacts with Google accounts. This ultimately allows you to target specific customers in a way that was not previously possible.
Once the ad campaign has been activated, neither you nor Emarsys will have any further involvement in the execution of the campaign. Google will use its own algorithms to target the selected audience with the ads you create until your monthly budget limit is reached or the campaign ends.
Custom Match is available across three of Google’s largest products:
- Google Search
A Google Audience must have at least 1,000 contacts for Google to use it for ad targeting. Read more about audiences in the Google documentation.
Audiences (Customer Match)
If you are using the Mobile Advertising ID as the matching identifier in a Google Audience, then it cannot be combined with other identifiers. However, you can combine the email and mobile number in a single audience.
To be compliant with Google's user consent policy, each contact's consent status must be available in your Emarsys contact data so that it can be passed to Google during the regular audience synchronization.
Here you can find the recommended implementation steps:
- Create two single choice fields to indicate the consent statuses.
- In Emarsys, go to Management > Field Editor and click Create Field.
- Name the field (e.g.
google_ad_user_data_consent) and select the Single Choice option, then click Create.
- Create 2 attributes correlating to GRANTED (1) and DENIED (2). Repeat the previous steps for the second consent, for example:
- If you have multiple Ad Accounts with independent consent statuses, create 2 fields for each.
- Synchronize your users' consent statuses with the newly created fields. You can use data imports or the API for this purpose.
- From February 2024, in Digital Ads, set the consent fields for your Google Connections on the Ad Account tab.
- Regularly synchronize consent statuses to Emarsys to ensure they are up-to-date.
- For detailed information on how consent statuses influence ad personalization for users in the EEA and other regions, refer to the Google documentation.
- As as best practice, we recommend adjusting the segments used for Digital Ads audiences to exclude contacts who set either consent field to DENIED.
Do I need to sync other consent statuses, such as ad_storage or analytics_storage?
You don't need to make these consent statuses available for Digital Ads.
What happens if the consent field is empty or not specified?
In this case, contacts will be synchronized with the consent status UNSPECIFIED. For contacts in the EEA, this is equivalent to the consent status DENIED and their data will not be processed by Google. This may negatively impact the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
Google Application ID
If you selected the Mobile Advertising ID as the matching identifier, then you need to provide the Google Application ID as well.
The Google Application ID is a unique identifier for the mobile application from which the data was collected.
For iOS, the ID is the 9-digit string that appears at the end of an App Store URL (for example,
426562526for SAP SuccessFactors whose App Store link is https://apps.apple.com/de/app/sap-successfactors/id426562526
For Android, the ID is the application's package name (for example,
com.successfactors.successfactorsfor "SAP SuccessFactors" with the Google Play link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.successfactors.successfactors
Google Lead Ads
For more information on Google Lead Ads campaigns, please refer to the Google documentation. Selecting the campaign will determine the lead forms available and the subscription name.
Once you have set up your Lead Ads subscription and field mapping, Google will generate a webhook and key.
My Client Center (MCC) accounts can be used with some limitations. There are no reports available for assets that you create using the manager (MCC) account.
The webhook can be used in multiple campaigns if you want to use the same lead generation form.
To complete the Lead Ads subscription setup, please follow Google's instructions.