Important: Flexible product data integration is in closed pilot phase. We cannot activate this feature for new clients because it will be reshaped in the upcoming months as part of the refurbished product catalog onboarding.
What is Flexible Product Catalog Onboarding?
Flexible Product Catalog Onboarding enables product data integration without having to meet prescribed requirements by cleaning up and transforming your product catalogs in a monitored and easy to troubleshoot way.
Instead of having to prepare the product catalog meeting all the requirements listed here, existing product feeds, or new feeds generated can be integrated with Emarsys in the most convenient way.
What are the minimal requirements?
Several options are supported to connect your product data:
- Provide Emarsys a URL to download the catalog on a regular basis.
- Provide the product catalog hosted on a FTP/SFTP server that Emarsys can use to check for a new catalog on a regular basis.
- If you are using a Magento or Shopify platform, then the Emarsys Plugin can be used to synchronize the products hourly.
- Use your Emarsys managed Google Cloud Storage Bucket to drop the catalog regularly. For more information on setting up this storage bucket, contact Emarsys Support.
With Flexible Product Catalog Onboarding, the catalog is downloaded from the provided URL hourly by default, but other scheduling can also be requested. It checks for new and updated files on the specified FTP/SFTP servers hourly as well. If no new or updated file is found, the import process is not started.
Product feed requirements
Supported file formats:
The only requirement is that the files have to be UTF-8 encoded.
Regarding the content, for each item, your file has to contain data that can be used to populate the required fields:
To use the Emarsys platform at its full potential, the data has to be available for the recommended fields as well:
This does not mean that these fields have to be present in the catalog, but these have to be available from the source data by transformation steps.
When can Flexible Product Catalog Onboarding help?
Here are some typical Flexible Product Catalog Onboarding use cases:
- Using custom XML product feeds (not only the standard GPF)
- Mapping fields to the Emarsys standard catalog fields (including advanced rules for composing standard fields)
- Creating categories in the required format, removing or adding new categories (based on rules)
- Mapping custom fields to required naming convention, support for all custom field types in Google Product Feeds
- Unifying image size using the Emarsys image proxy
- Field localization using multiple product feeds
- Merging offline and online catalog
- Unifying the attributes of the main item and the variants
- Fixing broken attributes (e.g. adjust link or image URLs, remove unnecessary characters)
- Removing items not intended to be shown in recommendations or reports
How to monitor and troubleshoot the process?
To check the product data imports, navigate to Management > Data Onboarding Management. All historical imports are listed, showing the result and the processing speed.
To see further details of an import, navigate to the Import Details page from the Import History table.
Each import consists of three steps:
- Access and load the data source
- Perform data transformation steps
- Initiate the import to the platform (Predict)
If each step is successful, the data utilization status can be checked by clicking Go to Predict Data Sources.
To check the content of the latest product catalog after applying the transformations, click the View Product Catalog on the Product Data Import History page.
On this page, the table loads 100 lines from your product catalog. Select the fields from the dropdown you would like to check, and turn off table cell truncation to see the full content of the fields.
In case you need to check a specific product not listed in the table, you can download the whole catalog file in CSV format.