You can notify customers who are interested in a specific product when the stocks are running low (i.e. the number of available products falls below the specified amount) with the Low in stock product catalog change type. The Product catalog updates program compares the current product catalog to the one that was checked when you sent the last campaign and notifies customers when the requirements are fulfilled.
If you selected the Low in stock option, then you need specify the following values:
- Stock amount field - The custom field in the product catalog that stores the stock amount. The calculation only works with numeric fields. If you select a field that does not contain a numeric value, then the calculation will fail. For more information, see Which fields can I select from the product catalog when setting up the low in stock calculation?
- Low in stock threshold - Contacts will be notified when the number of available products falls below the specified value.
When you have configured the required fields, follow the instructions in Creating a Low in stock campaign.
Creating a Low in stock campaign
When you are ready with configuring the Product catalog updates trigger, proceed as follows:
1. Add a Decision node to your program, select the Included in segment template and choose a segment including contacts whose opt-in status is
2. Go to Channels > Triggered Email > Mail Streams and create your Triggered Email campaign.
3. Add a Repeatable block to your campaign.
- The Repeatable block can display 1 product per row. The image and the number of fields used in this block depend on your requirements.
- Make sure that the opening
<tr>tag of the block contains the
4. Select the Repeatable block and click the Product Source icon.
5. Configure the Product Source Settings as follows:
a. Select the Low in stock Product set.
b. Specify the number of items you would like to display in this block.
The Repeatable block can display a maximum of 10 products for each contact when sending Product catalog updates campaigns.
6. After setting the Product Source, you can insert personalization tokens directly from your product catalog as follows:
a. You can select any field from your product catalog. As a best practice, we recommend using the Title, Price and Image fields and links for the CTA button and the image. You can also display the stock amount in the campaign by inserting the custom field you have selected in the Product catalog updates trigger.
b. Select the image, click the Image properties icon, click the Personalization icon and select the Image Product catalog field.
7. When you are ready, save and activate your campaign.
8. Select your Triggered Email campaign in the Product catalog updates program, then activate the program.
To test your program, follow the instructions in Testing a price drop program. Before testing the program, set the Product catalog updates type and the Product Source Settings to Price drop. After testing the program, set these values back to Low in stock.
When does Interactions trigger a low in stock notification?
This is how Interactions triggers a low in stock notification:
- It checks if there are changes in your product catalog by comparing the most up-to-date version to the one that was checked when the program ran the last time.
- It sends a low in stock notification when the available stock falls below the specified threshold.
- The notification is sent only once to avoid bombarding costumers with the same low in stock campaign. So, if the stock stays below the threshold, then it will not trigger a low in stock notification again.
Let’s say that you would like to send a notification when the stock falls below 50 and your program runs every day. For example:
- On Monday, the number of available products is 60.
- There are only 49 items on Tuesday. As a result, the audience interested in this product will receive a low in stock notification.
- On Wednesday, there are only 10 products left. However, in this case, Interactions will not trigger a low in stock notification again as your contacts already received the campaign on Tuesday when the number of available items fell below the specified threshold.
Can I select localized fields for calculation?
Yes, you can. Localized stock amount fields should be stored as separate custom fields. If you have different markets with stock amounts, then you need to build multiple programs. Make sure to use the right filter in the journey so that only contacts in the specific market will be targeted.
Can I use localized fields in the content?
Currently, you can’t, however, the Personalization Team is already working on a solution. You can select localized price or availability fields in Price drop or Back in stock campaigns. In such campaigns, the localized standard fields are sent within the payload (i.e.
Which fields can I select from the product catalog when setting up the low in stock calculation?
All the custom fields in your product catalog are listed but the calculation will only be valid if you select a field containing numeric values. If the calculation fails due to an invalid value type (e.g. string), then you will receive a detailed notification including the item IDs which contain invalid values: “During the last run of the “<Program name>” low in stock program, we found <X> non-numeric values in the selected “<Field name>” product catalog field. Examples of the affected item IDs: <Y>. Make sure that the “<Field name>” field only contains numeric values.”