We studied the iOS15beta version and our data science team conducted initial research in the last few weeks.While we still cannot be 100% sure of all the details of the official release, we can rely on Apple's beta release to draw initial conclusions. Our product team looked at the data and agreed on a series of next steps in relation to Emarsys features that may be affected by the change. The below is not only aimed at providing you a high-level and general advice but also outline specific adjustments Emarsys is planning to explore to certain features, and the best actions we can advise you to take in this point of time.
What iOS 15 reminds you needed to do anyway
- Sort your deliverability!
- Quality of leads, your reputation as a sender and the cleanness of your contact lists are key.
- Contact data health check while opens are still there - Review the engagement health of your contact list now and clean out all disengaged users.
- Maintain your contact data base by performing opt-in cleanups regularly.
- 1:1 personalization is key! You need your customers to appreciate you as a brand, to trust you and to engage with your communication.
- Clicks, conversions, and other metrics, push the needle, opens do not.
- Don't panic - take this as a good opportunity to take a step back and look at your email sending habits. Also remember that iPhone Apple Mail users are ~11% of the market.
List of affected products and advice on their usage
Send Time Optimization
We are conducting research into whether STO algorithms should be updated, and if so, than how. We will monitor changes in our data as soon as the new OS versions are released, we will then be able to compare OS masked opens withuser generated opens and learn of the accurate affect.
What should you do?
Currently no action is required.
The expected impact of iOS 15 on STO broken down by contact group types:
- Not using Apple Mail:
- No impact.
- Using Apple Mail, contacts with long history:
- In the short term STO should work as before.
- Over time, the uplift might deteriorate (how quickly and how much will very much depend on the behavior characteristics of each contact but expect it to happen between 3 to 9 months).
- Using Apple Mail, relatively new contacts:
- STO won't be able to find the optimal sending time.
- We don't expect STO to perform worse than sending at random times.
- It might be worse, however, than sending at a good sending time (e.g. 9 AM) for everyone.
Email engagement and RFM-based scores, AI segments
We began research to find a way to keep good model performance without opens as main features/target in our models.
What should you do?
While you do not need to change the use of your AI segments, you should review behavior segments that rely on opens. e.g. opened in the last 180 days and potentially change them or stop relying on their accuracy.
We will communicate any further advice as soon as we reach conclusions post iOS 15 rollout.