You can find the most important pieces of information about changing the method of contact identification in Web Extend in this article.
Important: Before changing the way contacts are identified in Web Extend, consider the following:
- If you change the contact identification method from
setEmail(i.e. email hash) to
setCustomerID(i.e. customer ID) or the other way around in your Web Extend configuration, then your Web Channel audiences will be empty and the contacts who had previously entered your Web Channel Automation Center program will not be able to see your campaigns anymore.
- Changing the contact identification method in Web Extend may break your Smart Insight integration if Smart Insight receives sales data via the Web Extend data collection scripts. To avoid breaking your Smart Insight integration, after changing the contact identification method in Web Extend you need to modify your Smart Insight settings as described in Selecting contact fields for filtering.
When you change the contact identification method, please keep in mind that you also need to:
- Update your existing Email Recommender widgets
For example, if you change the contact identification from
setEmail, then you also need to replace the
setCustomerId commands with
setEmail in your implementation.
If you change the identification method to
setCustomerId and the link tracking parameter
sc_customer is replaced with
sc_eh or the other way around, then links created prior to this change will not work properly even though error messages will not appear in the live events. As a result, contacts will not be properly identified. This means that the links you created before changing the method of contact identification will not contain any value based on which Web Extend could identify your customers. In this case, you can still use browser cookies or explicit identification instead. Please note that this has a short-term and very low impact on your campaigns (i.e. campaigns containing link tracking and recommendations that were created before changing the identification method will not identify contacts properly, the links and recommendations will be generic).
After changing the method of identification, Predict Email Recommender widgets will not work in email campaigns created previously because they will refer to the previously used identification field. To avoid this issue, make sure that Email Recommender widgets used prior to the change are not used in:
- Recurring campaigns
- Campaigns using external events and
- New campaigns created by copying previous campaigns
We recommend updating the campaigns as follows:
- Make a copy of your campaign.
- Update the copied campaign.
- Use the updated version of the campaign.