Here is a simple Automation Center program that you can set up to trigger a confirmation email and secure a double opt-in after initial registration. We have included two different methods to update the contact opt-in field:
- Using the Emarsys API (recommended)
- Via manual import
This program follows up a contact registration with a transactional email containing a link for the customer to click, confirming their subscription.
At the end of the program, those who have not responded can be saved as a contact list and you can try to engage with them on a different channel.
This is what the finished program will look like:
Things to bear in mind
- You should only use the entry points Form or External Event for this program, as the first email after such an entry point can be sent with no opt-in status for the recipient.
- You should not send a reminder email. Since the initial email will be sent seconds after the registration, the recipient should be waiting to click the link. If they do not do so immediately, they are unlikely to do so a day later.
- Using the External event entry point will allow you to unify all your registration methods by channeling them through one event. It will also enable you to place a 'Resend the confirmation link' button on your registration page in case of lost or expired links.
- Do not use the New contact entry point for these programs because that will not allow you to ignore opt-in for the first email following it.
- Your Participation Settings should allow for contacts to re-register soon afterwards in case they missed the confirmation email. This should be tied in with your Wait node or your link expiry period, if you have one.
For this program you will need:
- One form
- One link category
- One landing page
- One email with confirmation link
- One segment
- One API call with JSON payload defined, to manage the opt-in, or a background registration link from a form.
You will need to have a general registration form that you can select in the Form entry point. This form may not be in use in another program.
If you want to keep track of contacts who have confirmed their opt-in via this and other links, you can create a global link category for them, and assign this category to your link on the Link Tracking tab of the content editor.
The landing page
The landing page should just thank the contact for subscribing. Its purpose is only to feed back to the contact that their subscription has been processed. Other content that would be suitable on this page might be a link to the contact profile page, or marketing material relevant to the registration (e.g. if it was part of a promotion).
The email should be extremely simple with a single call to action, asking the contact to confirm their subscription by clicking a link.
The link should take the contact to a Thank You landing page.
For details on how to generate the confirmation link, see below.
The email content should be restricted to confirming any details submitted on registration (e.g. first name, last name) and should not contain any marketing material whatsoever.
If you want to save contacts who failed to confirm their subscription, and perhaps target them on a different channel, you will want to filter them out at the end of the program with a behavioral segment, either referencing the link or the link category, for example:
Building the program
Once you have prepared the ingredients, putting the program together should not take more than a few minutes.
Your entry point can be one of the following, depending on your requirements:
- External event
Next comes the Email node with the email containing confirmation link.
After this comes a Wait node with a suitable time delay to allow for contacts to click the link. 24 hours should usually be plenty.
After this comes the Filter switch node. In the example above we filter for contacts who did not click the confirmation link, therefore these are the Included path who should be exported by the Save contact list node. You can then try to re-engage with these contacts.
Re-engaging with contacts who do not confirm
Re-engaging with contacts who register but fail to click the confirmation link is tricky. They have expressed some interest, but failed to follow up on it, and you do not have permission to contact them further via email.
Here are some suggestions on how to reach out to these contacts on other channels to get them to subscribe.
In each case you will first have to create a segment based on 'received the confirmation email AND did not click the link AND opt-in does not equal TRUE'.
- CMR Ads - Create an audience based on your segment and, once the segment contains enough contacts, you can target them with a tailored message that resends the confirmation email.
- Web Channel - Create an overlay to let the contact know that they failed to complete the registration process and create a campaign which displays this overlay to the platform segment you defined earlier.
- Mobile Engage - If you know the email address of the contact, and they have downloaded your app (thereby consenting to receive messages on that channel), you can target them with a cross-channel subscription campaign.
- SMS - As with Mobile Engage, if you have permission to contact them via text message, you can include a call to action to trigger the confirmation email in a campaign sent to those contacts.