Setting up Product Source in VCE
Personalization Rules are to serve either of the following email campaign types: batch or recurring email campaigns.
Do not use Personalization rule in any on-event, triggered or transactional email campaigns with Automations programs, otherwise the emails will not be sent.
To use Personalization rules in a block-based email template, you need to have repeatable product blocks available with the necessary editable fields: Link, Image, Title, CTA to display a product and it is also repeatable.
- If your email template was created by Emarsys, then you do not have to update it.
- If you use your own template, ensure it includes any repeatable blocks. For updating it, follow the instructions described in Creating a Repeatable Block.
- If your existing email template does not include any repeatable blocks, follow the steps of Creating a Repeatable Block.
Repeatable product blocks enable you to add multiple products dynamically to your email campaign from different product sources, such as Interactions events or more advanced recommendation sources.
To edit a repeatable product block in your existing email campaign, proceed as follows:
1. Go to Channels > Email Campaigns, select your campaign, then click Edit.
To update your own template, go to the Content > Block-Based Templates page and open the template you would like to use by clicking the Edit icon.
2. Go to the Content Creation step in the bottom menu and
- select an existing repeatable product block, or
- drag and drop one to the campaign.
4. In the Product Source Settings pop-up window tick the Personalization rule radio button and select the rule you want to use from the drop-down list, then click OK.
5. At the Display Settings section set the minimum and maximum number of products that should appear in the email.
Technically, the maximum number of products to display is 100, but it is not recommended to set more than 10 products.
6. Click Save to save your email.
Adding personalization fields to the product block
After specifying the Personalization rule as a data source of your repeatable product block, you can start adding the personalization fields to your block.
1. Position the cursor where you want to add the Personalization token, click the Personalization icon in the toolbar.
2. You can select any of the following product catalogue fields:
a. Personalizing Title or Price fields: Highlight the Title or Price placeholder and click Personalization icon. Select the Title or Price token under Product Catalog.
b. Personalizing image: Click the Image placeholder and select the Image Properties icon.
Select the Image token under Product Catalog.
Dont worry about the The image URL cannot be found. warning message, the image will be properly displayed in your campaign.
c. Personalizing image link URL: Click the Personalization icon next to the Url field and select the Image Link token under Product Catalog.
3. At this point your Repeatable block is blank but do not worry, it will contain all the right product images, titles, links and prices when your campaign will be sent.
Previewing the email campaign
As Contact preview supports Personalization Rules, you can check your recommendation results on contact level with Contact Preview.
In each case, the contact preview shows the top products, which means the most popular products including the most-viewed and most-purchased items, which are the Global popularity fallback, that matches your filtering.
Repeatable Product blocks by default require at least one recommendation item!
- Contact preview does not appear, if the Personalization rule cannot provide at least one recommendation item for the selected contact. In this case, the specific contact would not receive the message, when launching the email campaign.
- Visual Link Tracking in Email Analysis does not work, if there are not enough recommendation items, because it can examine the rendered email parts only.
You can use Repeatable Product Blocks with multiple rows or columns. The Repeatable Block allows you to display multiple products in a single Repeatable Block by using a multiple row or column layout, containing one product in the first column and two products in the second column. For more information, see Creating a Repeatable Block with a multiple-product per block layout.
Contact preview can display troubleshooting notifications about an issue or the cause of a failed preview attempt. For details, see Contact preview notifications.
Make all the required changes to your campaign, then click Save.
Once your campaign is ready, replace the original email campaign with your updated campaign.