Contact lists can be used as an alternative to segments when selecting the recipient source for campaigns or the source for an export. Whereas segments are constantly refreshed every time they are used, contact lists are static and do not change.
Creating contact lists
To create contact lists, go to Contacts > Contact Lists, then click Create Contact List.
You can choose from the following options:
- To save the contacts from a manual import as a contact list, select From Data Import..., click next to the specific import, then click Save Contact List.
- To save the contacts from an auto-import as a contact list, select From Auto-imports...
- If you would like to create a contact list using the Emarsys API, click the Emarsys API link to open the Emarsys API documentation.
You can also save contact lists the following ways:
- In the Segment Details page, click Display Contacts, then click Save Contact List.
- When Emarsys displays the Search Results page, click Save Contact List. The Search Results page is displayed when you:
- search for contacts,
- click a linked response metric in one of the reporting screens.
Managing contact lists
On the Contact Lists page you can view all your contact lists and:
- their names
- their description
- the date of creation
- the number of contacts included
- the number of contacts who have a valid opt-in
To arrange the columns, click their title.
Here you can:
- Display the contacts in a list by clicking.
- Rename a contact list and change its description by clicking.
- Refresh a contact list by clicking. For example, you can refresh a list after deleting a contact.
- Delete a contact list by clicking. This deletes the list but not the contacts in it. To delete a list and all the contacts in it, you need to use the Delete Contacts in the Contacts menu.
When you View the list, you have additional controls available:
Here you can:
- save the contacts as another list (i.e. make a copy),
- edit a contacts properties,
- remove a contact from the list,
- delete a contact from your database.
Please note, that a contact list cannot be deleted in the following cases:
- The contact list is part of a segment used
- The contact list is part of a combined segment used
- The contact list is part of an email campaign
- The contact list is being updated by a data import
- The contact list is included in a scheduled data export
- The contact list is used in an Automation Center program.
This helps to avoid causing a failsafe status for the affected programs.
The same preventative rule is valid for contact list deletions initiated through the API or a maintenance job.
In such cases, check why the contact list is used the affected programs. Either remove them from the programs or replace them where applicable.
Managing the contacts in a contact list
- Edit a contact’s properties.
- Remove a contact from the contact list.
- Delete a contact from your database.
Adding contacts to contact lists
The only way that you can add contacts to an existing contact list is via the API endpoint Adding contacts to a contact list.
If you do not use the Emarsys API, your only option is to export a contact list, add the new contacts externally and then re-import it, selecting the function Save contact list as.
Merging contact lists
You cannot merge contact lists directly, but you can combine two lists into a new list by creating a segment from each list, combining those and saving the result as a new list.
To merge contact lists, proceed as follows:
1. Create a segment based on the first of the contact lists you want to merge.
2. Define a pair of mutually exclusive contact criteria that will ensure every contact in the list is in the segment, for example email is empty OR email is not empty, as shown below:
3. Repeat this for the second contact list.
4. In the Combined Segments page, create a new segment based on both of these (making sure to use the OR operator again):
5. Save this new segment and click Display Contacts.
You can now save the displayed contacts as a new contact list, as described in Creating contact lists.
Autodeleting contact lists
Unused contact lists (i.e. which are not used in a segments , campaigns, imports, exports, AC programs) are deleted automatically for performance reasons. The period after which unused contact lists are deleted depends on your account environment. For more information on auto-deletion settings and restoring, please contact Emarsys Support.