The Live Events page is where you can check that the Web Extend scripts are working after you have implemented them.
Viewing the events
The Live Events page shows the last 10 events identified on your web shop by the scripts. This is refreshed every time you open the page or click the Refresh button.
You can filter the events using the controls at the top.
- Showing - Select specific types of event in the first drop-down.
- my visit - In the second drop-down you can choose to exclude real events by selecting my visit.
- initiated from - Select between browser events or those collected by a mobile SDK.
To validate your data collection scripts, you just need to go to the web shop and perform the kind of actions that you want to capture from your visitors. Then go back to Emarsys and check that these have been correctly picked up by the Web Extend scripts. If not, see: Troubleshooting.
On the Live Events page, times and dates are always reported in UTC, and not in your account time zone.
To validate the View event, click an item in your web shop and check that this item is showing under view events with the following information:
- Time and date of view.
- Customer identifier (usually an email hash, and only if the visitor has been identified).
- Item thumbnail.
- The code under the date and time refers to the Web Extend cookie and can be ignored.
- If you are using A/B testing, you will also see the Cohort used for this recommendation.
- The lightning bolt indicates that the item was viewed after clicking a tracked link in an email campaign.
Click the thumbnail to go to the Product Info page, where you can see the item ID, category, price and availability as defined in your product data, as well as the items currently recommended by the Related and Also Bought widgets. Clicking the item link or image will take you back to the web page where you originally viewed it.
You can then repeat this process for all the other events that you want to track:
- non-empty carts
- category views
Once you have validated all the events you are using, you must wait until the Web Extend has collected enough data to enable Predict to make meaningful recommendations. Once your installation of Predict has been activated and is working in a live environment, you can continue to check it using the Live Validator page.
Emarsys recommends to use the Email Hash identifier, as this also includes visitors who have registered but not yet made a purchase. If you are unable to use this for technical or other reasons, CustomerID can also be used.
Validating a multi-domain integration
If your web shop has multiple domains, you should see the localized feature names appear in the Live Events viewer (RELATED_UK, PERSONAL_UK, etc.).
You should also check that the addToCart and checkOut commands from your localized sites report the transaction value in the currency of your main site.
If you suspect that the views are not being correctly displayed, check your Web Extend implementation again and if that does not solve the issue, contact Emarsys Support.