There are a number of ways you can add new contacts to Emarsys.
Emarsys has a simple, intuitive Forms Editor where you can create registration forms; no specialized technical or HTML knowledge is required. Then you can either:
- Link to them directly from your website.
- Export the HTML code and embed them directly in your website.
If you have a corporate Facebook account, you can also embed Emarsys forms directly in one of your pages.
Manual and automated imports
Using the API
If you have development resources available, the Emarsys API is the fastest and most efficient way to use your existing registration forms to import contacts directly into the Emarsys database. Please direct your technical support staff to the Emarsys API Documentation and the use case on Updating Contacts.
Using HTTPS feeds
Please note that this is legacy functionality that is no longer actively maintained by Emarsys.
If you are not using the Emarsys API, but do have some technical understanding, you can use the Emarsys Forms Editor to set up HTTPS feeds to collect registrations and pass them to Emarsys. This document will explain how this works Using HTTPS Feeds in Emarsys.
Adding contacts manually
If you go to the Contacts tab and select Add Contact, you are moved to the Contact Properties page. For each new contact, five tabs are available:
Enter the contact information as required.
As a quick reminder, here is the onboarding video about adding contacts manually.
Viewing field history
Via the History link you can view the changes made to a field. Originally, this was developed to track changes in the opt-in and multi opt-in fields. If a field has been changed, either manually or by an administrator, duplication handling or online via a registration form, the History link is displayed next to it.
Click the link to see what has changed.
- Date/time shows when changes were made.
- Value shows which entry has replaced the original one. If the box is empty, the previous value was replaced by a zero-entry field.
Source/Admin shows you how/by whom the change was made:
- Administrator – Changes were made manually by the Administrator.
- Suite API – Changes were done using the API.
- System – List Unsubscribe, also when a register_bg link (form) is called.
- Imported – Changes are due to an import. Manual or Auto CSV Import.
- Contact Form – HTTPS feed through a form. Changes are due to a registered contact who subscribed again via one of your registration forms. The source "form" is only displayed if the contact re-registered with the same key data (first, last name and email address) and has thereby changed one field value.
- un_mail – Using the Emarsys unsubscribed function.
In the IP column you can see the IP address of the PC on which the changes via registration form were made. Emarsys is bound by legal requirements to record and display this address.
Exporting data change history for all fields
Data change history is stored for all contact fields. You can obtain the data change history.
On the Contact Data Export tab click the Start Change History Export. Collecting all the data changes may take several seconds to complete. In the meantime, you can navigate from this page. Once the data export is ready to download you receive a notification.
Click the download link to save a .zip archive file to your computer containing a .csv file with all the change event records.
The Communications tab lists all incoming and outgoing messages (e.g. newsletters, promotion emails) between you and a contact. To filter the messages by outgoing or incoming date, activate the corresponding option.
Under Received Messages, you can see the contacts' replies to your Contact Us type forms.
Dates on the Communications tab on the Contact profile are always calculated in Vienna timezone independently from the account's or the admin's timezone.
You can also view the name of the Email campaign, the Email type (promotion, newsletter or on-event), the Recipient (for incoming contact requests) and the email Subject line; all these columns can be sorted alphabetically.
Please note that Personalized Subject lines may not always work with some of the available personalization methods when viewed in the Communications tab:
- Contact field based personalization: visible in Subject line
- Relational data based personalization: not visible in Subject line
- Personalization involving Emarsys Scripting language: not visible in Subject line
Viewing and adding remarks
You can enter individual notes on a contact. This way, all communication information (e.g. phone calls, meetings) can be tracked. All existing notes are displayed with their creation date, subject line, author and change date. You can rearrange the notes by clicking the corresponding column header.
Click Show all to see an overview of all notes. Remarks can be viewed, edited or deleted. Click Preview to display a window with the selected remark; click Edit to change the subject line and/or the text of the remark. To undo your changes, click Reset. To finish your editing, click Save.