The Design Advisor is a tool that automatically checks your programs and detects if there are possible ways to improve performance and usability.
- Design Advisor checks
- How to use Design Advisor
- Combine segments instead of multiple segmentation nodes
- Copy segments used as exit criteria in multiple programs
Design Advisor checks
The following checks are carried out:
- When you have multiple sequentially connected segments, Design Advisor will suggest creating a combined segment of these; creating a combined segment may take some time but the speed of the program will improve a lot if there is only one segment to process.
- When you have the same segment as exit criteria on multiple programs, to avoid performance problems when a segment is run by these programs at the same time, make sure to copy the segment and use a different copy for each program.
How to use Design Advisor
When the automated check finds a potential issue, an information icon appears in the toolbar of the application.
When clicked, the solution to the issue is stated, with a link to a detailed explanation.
Design Advisor checks:
Combine segments instead of multiple segmentation nodes
To create a combined segment of sequentially connected segments, first make note of the segments used in these nodes. Go to Contacts -> Combined Segments in the menu and click Create Combined Segment.
After naming your new combined segment, add the segments to the Included segments section of the page with the + sign and select the operator that is used: AND or OR.
When finished, click Run to check the results. For more information, see Combining Segments.
Copy segments used as exit criteria in multiple programs
The Design Advisor automatically issues a notification when a segment is used in multiple programs as exit criterion.
The solution is to copy the segment and use a different copy for each program.
When you use a segment and its copies in several programs and the original segment is changed, it may become hard to track the change in all of the programs. As a solution to this, you can use the Description field of the segment to list all the programs where the segment is used. Make sure however, that new program usages have to be noted retrospectively in the previous programs, too.
Applying the modifications recommended by the Design Advisor greatly improves the performance and usability of your programs.