This is a custom add-on that is available in the Automation Center and Interactions. If you would like to use this node, please contact your Client Success Manager.
This node allows you to manage your Criteo audiences (you can add or remove contacts) directly from Emarsys Automation programs.
With this node, you can:
- Connect your existing Criteo account with Emarsys,
- Access existing Criteo audiences from Emarsys Automation programs and add or remove contacts passing through this node to or from these target audiences,
- Create and populate a new Criteo audience from Emarsys.
Audience management relies on contact matching. This node offers a 2-tier solution:
- By default, contacts are matched based on their email address.
- Optionally, you can use one of the 3 identifiers used in Criteo (Mobile ad ID, Live Ramp ID or GUM cookie) to optimize the performance of contact matching. If you would like to use this feature, then you need to import and regularly sync these IDs to your Emarsys contact database.
You need to have an existing Criteo account with a user that has permission to manage Criteo app consents.
The Criteo Audience node comes in handy in the following cases:
- When you would like to send contacts to (or remove them from) your existing Criteo campaigns from Emarsys Automation programs.
- When you would like to create a Criteo audience from an Emarsys segment or event stream.
Configuring the add-on
To use the node, you first need to connect your Emarsys account with your Criteo account. This is normally a one-time setup.
The two platforms are connected through the Emarsys Audience App that is distributed by Emarsys to the Criteo App platform. The connection is created between this app and your Criteo account, allowing our app to manage your Criteo audiences.
Here is what you need to do:
- Log into your Criteo account.
Make sure your user has the necessary privileges to manage app consents and permissions.
- In another tab, open the Emarsys platform and log in.
- Navigate to Add-ons > Criteo Audience Node.
While the page is loading, the add-on reaches out to the Criteo system and checks the connection status. The first time you access this page, you should see the following screen:
- If the connection does not exist yet, the page will fetch an app consent link from Criteo's system and it will be displayed in the URL field.
- Choose from the following options:
- Click the Copy icon to copy this link and open it in a new tab.
- To open the link directly in a new tab, click the External link icon.
- On the Criteo Management page, grant consent to the Emarsys Audience App to manage your audiences.
- Navigate back to the tab where you opened the Criteo Audience Node add-on page.
If the consent granting process was successful, you should see the screen below. Otherwise, an error message will be displayed explaining how to fix the issue.
Using the Criteo Audience node in an Automation program
- Add the Criteo Audience node to your program. You can find it under the Channel nodes.
- To open the node settings, double-click the node.
- Select the audience you wish to manage. You can choose from the following options:
- Select an existing Criteo audience from the dropdown.
- Create a new Criteo audience.
Make sure the audience name you enter here does not already exist in Criteo.
- Select the action you wish to perform when contacts pass through this node. You can choose from the following options:
- Add contacts to the target audience.
- Remove contacts from the target audience.
- Optionally, you can set up a complementary contact identification process by using one of the ID types supported by Criteo as follows:
If you would like to use this feature, you need to import these IDs from Criteo to your Emarsys contact database.
a. Select the Criteo ID type to use for the target audience.
b. Select the Emarsys contact database field containing this ID.
- You are ready. If any required fields are missing, an error message will appear.
You can check the metrics on the Program Reporting page.
It may happen that the connection between Criteo and Emarsys is lost, or that the consent used by the Emarsys Audience App is revoked by a Criteo process. In this case, the node will fail. For this reason, we recommend setting up notifications and fail-safe procedures.
As a first step, please open the node configuration on the Add-ons > Criteo Audience Node page and check the following:
- If the page does not load at all, please contact Emarsys Support.
- If the page loads, then it will check the connection status, and will allow you to restart the connection process and grant consent to the Emarsys Audience App. If this step fails, there might be an issue on Criteo’s end, and you need to contact Criteo Support.