Emarsys SMS helps you create, automate and deliver text messages from within your Emarsys account. With this additional channel you can reach more of your customer base wherever they are in the world, at any time, even when they are offline.
Please note that as of December 16, 2021, the SMS API documentation is available in our unified developer portal, at dev.emarsys.com.
If you are interested in learning more about Emarsys SMS, please enter your details to request a demonstration.
Why is it so special?
- Unlike other providers, Emarsys SMS has Smart Mobile Filtering which will make sure that you are not sending your campaign to invalid numbers, known hard bounces and opted-out contacts. This will reduce your costs as well.
- Emarsys supports 2-way messaging, making it possible for customers to reply to your SMS campaigns with arbitrary keywords, which can trigger automation center programs. There are predefined use cases for keywords, like handling registration and unsubscription.
- Customers can opt-out either using 2-way messaging (replying the ‘STOP’ keyword) or by clicking a short unsubscribe URL the platform generates for them.
- With no integration effort, it can be set up instantly in your Emarsys account and will immediately be available for use with all your existing segments and programs.
- It can be combined with your other channels, so you can easily set up SMS fallback scenarios for marketing programs, create complex business logics and get full reporting in one integrated platform.
- A unified personalization experience and capabilities across all channels allows you to be consistent in the way you communicate with your customers.
Before performing SMS communications and marketing, it is your responsibility to understand and adhere to the industry and legal requirements of your destination countries or regions.
A short code is a requirement for sending SMS messages to the USA. For information read the SMS inbound numbers article, contact Emarsys Support and start the process, which could take up to 6 weeks to complete.
All SMS messages sent using Emarsys must include the following:
- Your SMS marketing messages must include a single opt-out process that immediately discontinues sales and marketing SMS messages to a subscriber. For more information, see Managing opt-outs (unsubscribes).
Before you start with SMS
- SMS - Technical and Legal Requirements
- SMS - Managing opt-outs (unsubscribes)
- SMS - Preparing Your Contact Database
Use Cases and Examples
- SMS - End-user Guide
- MMS - End-user guide
- SMS - Inbound Numbers
- SMS - Short Trackable Links for SMS
- SMS - Reporting
- SMS - Troubleshooting
- SMS - FAQ
As a quick reminder, here is the onboarding video about SMS Campaigns:
What is Emarsys SMS?
Emarsys SMS adds an additional channel to the core Emarsys functionality. It automates SMS text messages direct to your customers’ mobiles, triggered by individual interactions with your brand. SMS messages fall into one of the following categories:
- Transactional SMS Messages
No opt-out information is required as these messages contain static information, e.g. system notifications, password retrievals, ignore opt-out features or other important updates. For more information and use cases, see Transactional SMS Messages.
- Commercial/Marketing SMS Messages
A contact has explicitly requested to receive recurring updates from you by opting in, and needs to be provided with a simple and easy way to stop these messages i.e. opt-out. The unsubscribe using our unique short link is the perfect solution for such messages. For more information and use cases, see Commercial/Marketing SMS Messages.
As with email, you cannot use numbers who have opted in for one purpose (e.g. system updates) to send them other types of content (e.g. marketing content); you need to have explicit opt-ins for each type of content.
How does it work?
After creating your messages in the Emarsys SMS editor, you can launch batch SMS campaigns or add them as transactional messages to existing Automation Center programs. Emarsys uses an external operator to deliver the messages.
Why should I be using this feature?
Studies show that customers are 35x more likely to open SMS messages than emails. 90% of text messages are read within three minutes. You can take advantage of this channel to provide immediate information such as offers or on-event notifications. SMS messages also connect you directly to your subscribers without the need for an Internet connection or smartphone, enabling you to interact with them at any time and in any location.
How do I pay for it?
Emarsys SMS is paid for via pre-paid credit which you purchase through your Emarsys Success Manager. You buy this in your local currency, which is then converted into one of: USD, EUR, KHD. This credit is charged for each SMS part you send by the local carriers according to the tariffs of the destination.
If you adhere to high standard payments, you can make top-up payments by yourself, purchasing credit without the need of the Emarsys Success Manager.
As soon as you have credit, you can begin to send campaigns.
Emarsys checks the cost of each campaign before launch to make sure that you have enough credit to cover it. If you have insufficient credit at any time, the campaign you are about to launch is put on hold and you are notified so that you can top up your balance.
- Recurring and on-event transactional SMS messages sent via Automation Center programs.
- Ad hoc, batch SMS campaigns launched quickly and easily via a simple interface.
- Unique short-link unsubscribe URLs leading to customized landing pages.
- Smart mobile filtering.
- Campaign cost estimator.
- Deduplication of mobile phone numbers.
- Full campaign reporting.
- Credit system – know your credit balance at all times.
- Dynamic sender ID.
- Alphanumeric sender name (e.g. your brand name).*
- Numeric sender ID (e.g. your Customer Support helpline).
- Unsubscribing using the STOP keyword
- Inbound message keywords.